Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enabling Swap Space hangs

I just started using Linux and when I try to boot up an image of Red hat it hangs on "Enabling swap space"

I am using a prepackaged red hat enterprise AS 4.0 image and vmware server console version 1.06. My host computer is XP.

How do I increase the swap space, that is what I think I need to do? I cant do anything except reboot it.

Thanks for any help

Quote:I just started using Linux and when I try to boot up an image of Red hat it hangs on "Enabling swap space"I am using a prepackaged red hat enterprise AS 4.0 image and vmware server console version 1.06. My host computer is XP.

How do I increase the swap space, that is what I think I need to do? I cant do anything except reboot it.

Thanks for any help

Do you at any point see an option inviting you to press the 'I' key to enter Interactive Startup?

If so, press 'i' when you see that message. You then confirm each stage of the booting process, and you can answer 'N' at the 'Enabling swap space' point to prevent the swap space from being enabled and hopefully should be able to boot further into the OS.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="12556" data-ipsquote-username="cuengw" data-cite="cuengw" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="3572" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I just started using Linux and when I try to boot up an image of Red hat it hangs on "Enabling swap space"I am using a prepackaged red hat enterprise AS 4.0 image and vmware server console version 1.06. My host computer is XP.

Thanks for any help

Do you at any point see an option inviting you to press the 'I' key to enter Interactive Startup?

If so, press 'i' when you see that message. You then confirm each stage of the booting process, and you can answer 'N' at the 'Enabling swap space' point to prevent the swap space from being enabled and hopefully should be able to boot further into the OS.

</div></blockquote>

Thanks for replying.

It says "Welcome to red hat enterprise linux AS Press 'I' to enter interactive startup."

I have entered i, as well as I, and pressed enter and it continues as if I hadnt entered anything

It then says "starting uDev" followed by the i I entered ie "Starting uDev: i"

Any other suggestions? Thanks

You don't enter 'I' at each step. Press 'I' when the prompt for interactive startup comes up. After that, once it gets to starting udev, press 'Y' to allow that to happen.

Continue to press 'Y' for each step (you will be prompted for each one) until the swap one, where you press 'N'.

This way it might be possible to boot the system.