Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing SATA Drives

I am on vacation and logged in remotely too check on my machine. To my surprise, 2 of my SATA drives that are part of my RAID 5 array seem to be missing. I am unable to get to this machine until Monday when I get home. Is there anything I can do to recover these drives? I have tried rebooting and they don't show up. Fdisk -l doesnt show them. Dmesg shows:

ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)

ata1: EH complete

ata1: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x150000 action 0xa frozen

ata1: SError: { PHYRdyChg CommWake Dispar }

ata1: hard resetting link

ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)

ata4: EH complete

ata4: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x150000 action 0xa frozen

ata4: SError: { PHYRdyChg CommWake Dispar }

ata4: hard resetting link

ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)

ata1: EH complete

ata1: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x50000 action 0xa frozen

ata1: SError: { PHYRdyChg CommWake }

ata1: hard resetting link

Not sure if that makes a difference or not. Could this be an issue with the cables? Is there any other commands I could use to try and figure out what happened to my drives? I am kinda newbish still to Fedora 8 and linux in general so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if you need any other info, please let me know....

hmm i'd be wary of doing anything with the box until you get there to test it properly

how are the drives setup exactly ? is it LVM in a raid setup or ext3 ?

did you have any issues with the machine in relation to hdd's before this ?

no probs before. it was set up using mdadm raid5 ext3 format as far as i remember. There are 4 SATA hdd's plugged directly into the motherboard. I had a RAID controller card but was unable to find the proper drivers to make it work with Fed 8 altho with lspci -l that card shows, but thats a different problem that i will tackle in another thread after i get this handled. I have one of my co-workers who will be checkin on it tomorrow when he gets in, but until then, I cant even access it remotely. It seems to be losing connectivity or freezing but wont know until tomorrow what the root problem is. Is it possible all the hdds are using up too much juice and the power suply cant handle it?

i doubt its a power supply issue, more likely faulty driver or faulty hdd or faulty cabling

or a mixture

but we wont know for sure until someone can login to the machine locally and boot it to look for errors

cheers

anyweb