Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gentoo?

I've been looking to try out linux for a while, and was going to install Fedora until I took a look at Gentoo. I know it's not very user-friendly, but i have looked at the handbook on the website and I'm willing to spend a lot of time reading/learning about it. The reason I want to use Gentoo is because I think I would learn a lot from using it.

What are your thoughts? Would it be too much of a leap for me to start using Gentoo right away and should I just use Fedora? Thank you for your time and help. :)

I'm far from a Gentoo expert, but in the past (when I was less experienced) I wasn't able to actually get Gentoo installed properly. I can't remember now what I did wrong, but I didn't have any luck then.

Since then, though, it has become a lot easier to do a Gentoo install, such that with reasonable familiarity with Linux installs, I think it's possible for most people to do it.

If you're interested, I wrote up my thoughts on the Gentoo 2008.0 Live CD install procedure and its ease of use for beginners/relative beginners - http://fosswire.com/2008/07/13/installing-...-20080-live-cd/.

I say if you're up for it, give it a try. :)

(Having taken necessary data backup precautions, of course ;) )

i'd recommend you start with fedora and when you feel ready to experiment some more then try gentoo,

it's best to learn how to walk before you can run :)

oh and welcome to the forums !

cheers

anyweb

Ya, it probably would be better for me to start out with fedora.

I think ill install fedora on my current computer and use it for now. Im going to get a new computer later so I can install something different on that.

Thank you very much. [: