Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to install and config Postfix?

Hi all,

First of all, I would like to express my joy in finding this site, since I'm a real noob on Linux and all that surrounds it!

[img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]

I'm running a webserver with a family site on it, which needs a mailserver for confirmation of new members. I'm using HowTo as my guideline.

The setup of the server itself works fine, but with Postfix I experience nothing but trouble. That is; Postfix service won't start al all!

I believe it has something to do with LDAP, cos that keeps asking for a password which I don't know.

Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall, so I can try if I made an error in the process?

Pfff.... it's 86 F in my room, and it's getting warmer any minute thinking how to fix this!

If someone can help; please do!

Anyone? o_O

[img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_dry.png[/img] Is my question to complicated for this noob-forum? I guess other people might experience the same problems....

when you try to start postfix what errors do you get (paste them here please)

cheers

anyweb

Well, as I mentioned before, the first problem I encounter after opening the MTA, is that LDAP asks for a password I don't know. I didn't give one, cos every pw I need get's scribbled down.

Is there a way to reinstall, or at least, to remove software I don't need?

Forget about the problem I had before. I reinstalled the server, meaning a fresh start.

What do I want;

<ol style="list-style-type:decimal;">[*]Run a website with Apache, MySQL and PHP

[*]Send a message to new members of that site

[*]Receive messages when needed on one mailaccount

[*]Make sure this is done safely, without spam or virus [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_dry.png[/img]

</ol>

What have I done sofar?

• Website and such are running fine

• Got my IP registered and working. This also has an MX record included

• Configed Postfix as far as I could, meaning followed HowTo's and such

• Consumed large ammounts of food and drinks, cos I'm doing overtime behind my computers

What I DON'T want;

• Very usefull apps, which can do virtually everything, but what I'm not gonna use anyway

• Just a simple app, but with a hell of a config to do! (but if that's the only way... it'll do ;) )

So does anyone have the solution for me, cos I'm running out of ideas.