Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possible user in the future...

hi, i'm running on a vista windows right now

i recently got interested in linux because my friend intro-ed me into it

anyways, if i download/install linux now, will i be able to keep Everything that i have right now on vista And run back-and-forth between linux and vista?

Quote:hi, i'm running on a vista windows right nowi recently got interested in linux because my friend intro-ed me into it

anyways, if i download/install linux now, will i be able to keep Everything that i have right now on vista And run back-and-forth between linux and vista?

Sure.

There are several different ways you can try out Linux, depending on how far you want to go at the moment.

Live CD

Distributions such as Ubuntu offer what is known as a 'live CD'. You download the .iso, burn it to a disc using an ISO burning program, then boot your PC from the CD.

It takes longer to load than normal and will generally be more sluggish than a real install, but you can have a play around and experiment all you like, without touching your current computer setup. Note that anything you change in the Live CD system will be deleted when you shut down, so save any documents to a memory stick or something.

This is the best option for just having a peek into the world of Linux to begin with. If you want, later on, you can...

Dual Boot

Dual booting means that you install Linux alongside Windows. You'll need to resize your Windows partition on your hard drive (the installer can do this for you), then when you start up the machine you'll have the option of booting into Windows, or Linux.

This process is more complex, potentially risky (you'll have to back up first), but it offers full speed and a complete Linux experience. In addition, Windows is preserved so you always have the option of using it when it's appropriate, and Linux when it's appropriate.

---

I'd recommend you try out Live CDs first. That's the quickest and easiest way to take a look, have a play around, without affecting anything currently on your system. Later on, you can then try installing if you want more, but you probably want a bit more experience first.

Hope this answers your questions! :)

yes, thank you very much

just last couple questions..

so, this dual boot will leave everything on my computer(windows) alone, and just exist along side it?

and where can i download dual boot?

Quote:yes, thank you very muchjust last couple questions..

so, this dual boot will leave everything on my computer(windows) alone, and just exist along side it?

and where can i download dual boot?

Yes - provided that the process works properly, you'll end up with a (slightly smaller, but otherwise untouched) Windows part of your hard drive and a separate Linux part.

With Ubuntu, which I'd recommend for you at the moment, you need to get the Desktop CD version. This version has a Live CD on it, and then the option to install from the same disc.

Boot your PC from that disc and choose to enter the Live CD mode. If you want to, you can then run Install from the desktop.

Again, I do recommend you wait at least a little bit before you do install, but make sure that if you do it:

* Backup your Windows system first, so you can restore if anything goes wrong

* Make sure you have at least 5-7 GB of free space on your Windows system

* Defragment your Windows drive before running the Ubuntu installer (this might take a very long time, as in hours, but prevents the resize of Windows from failing)

Instructions on defragging on Vista can be viewed at http://www.nerdgrind.com/use-disk-defragme...-your-computer/