Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gentoo gets no love here?

or MAYBE ....

people don't come here looking for help because things just work?

:)

or MAYBE...

no one uses Gentoo :P

;)

cheers

anyweb

hehe, i use Gentoo myself, it pretty hard to setting up at the begining. but once it done then it easy to use.

Most people goto thier official site for help.

The gentoo forums are possible one of the best distro based forums going. Actually it just won a Linux Format Award (for those that read the mag). Mmmmhh I think I'll stick them a e-mail .. try to bump up more support?
Gentoo ist just the best distro ever. :) I really learned to love it. And I must truly admit that their forums are really excellent! All thumbs up...

I know windows, programming and databases well, but next to nothing about linux.

I tried debian, slackware, suse and redhat before I tried gentoo.

The gentoo install was alot more involved than the others, but at the end of it I felt like I knew what the hell was going on, and there are lots of great how-to's for gentoo.

So yeah, I love it.

I also use gentoo and find it to be an excellent choice :)

I use gentoo pretty much exclusively on all of my machines. I just know it better, and feel that it is the best distro (if you don't mind compiling).

Distcc and ccache takes a lot of the time off of compiles, and it just works most of the time.

And yeah, the support forums, wiki, and documentation for gentoo are among the best anywhere.

I tried Gentoo for a little bit, and it just didn't feel right. I now use Ubuntu, since my machine is nothing more than web/email/IM.
I've got a gentoo server running for years now. It's my distro of choice tho i run Fedora as a desktop. :)As far as i see it, most of the distro's out there are just linux and well... linux = linux :)The main diffirence is mostly the packetmanager tho gentoo is diffirent sinds it needs to get compiled all the way :)