it needs more work (apps)
too difficult for users
not stable enough
i'll stick with windows
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is linux ready for the desktop ?

is linux ready for the desktop yet for business and home use ?

personally i believe it 'nearly' is, there are just some things that need to be ironed out in order to make it professional enough to go mainstream

my gripes are

* power management (still sux more or less, think hibernation/standby)

* hardware support (raid SATA where are the drivers ?)

* peripherals support (webcams/scanners etc)

apart from that i love to use linux daily, and would love to see more of it in business,

please note: i am talking about normal users in business and not WEB SERVERS etc,

what about you ?

cheers

anyweb

Linux is all I use for my work and home desktop. It has been my only home OS for the last 5 years. I have no complaints, but I don't game on my pc.

Quote:my gripes are* power management (still sux more or less, think hibernation/standby)

* hardware support (raid SATA where are the drivers ?)

* peripherals support (webcams/scanners etc)

power management.. bah you laptop users... waste more power thats what i say :P

h/w support - agreed there is still certain areas that linux lacks.

peripherals - mmm well ive yet to find a scanner that didnt work... never bothered with webcams so cant comment.

i think linux is capable of meeting the needs business users although i do agree not all.

I think its ready.. but in certain areas.. as a gaming machine its not even close.. I do a lot of programming.. so its ready for me. If you need to run specalized applications.. then chances are they won't run in linux.

As for hardware.. if you do your research beforehand its a nice little ride

i installed linux almost 2hours ago and became a member about 1hour ago

well done vinn and welcome to the forums,

join us on IRC as well

we are on EFNET, join #linux-noob

cheers

anyweb

I think that most Linux distros are perfectly capable of being business/home desktops, though there are things that could be improved.

I believe it's ready for the desktop. I just don't believe the full range of applications and their integration is ready for a lot of desktop usage, or that people are conditioned into believing that computers magically plug-and-play with widardry as soon as it encounters anything new, and they need put no effort into anything themselves - so the prospect of having to work at a new OS is daunting to them.

It's clear that many people are comfortable with some internet-centric apps and a few business/leisure apps to drive some leisure hardware. The majority of home users can get by with browser, mail client, chat client along with small word-processing packages and the occasional media player, plus utilities to dock their camera/MP3 player/webcam.

The biggest gripe people have is when they believe they need a specific app (Microsoft Office) or codecs/drivers/modules don't exist for their media stream/particular hardware.

The worse grip I hear from anti-linux people is those that believe Linux isn't a serious enough for the desktop because they can't play their beloved games on it. Grrrr.....

I notice that a lot of companies using windows have began to foray into remote desktop and terminal services, meaning that the business desktop itself isn't *that* important any more. After seeing the advances made in recent distros, I may ditch Win2K on this workstation (read: "gamestation") entirely at some point.

interesting that you say this, however we still havnt managed to get a common (and old) game, Counter Strike Source to work in Fedora 11 on my sons PC, I followed what info I could find online (installed wine via yum) but it never starts the game, steam installed fine... but that was about it

i'm contemplating taking the ati video card out and using the onboard intel as a test, but do you have any ideas about it ? otherwise the Vista dual boot will remain for a long time on that pc

Quote:interesting that you say this, however we still havnt managed to get a common (and old) game, Counter Strike Source to work in Fedora 11 on my sons PC, I followed what info I could find online (installed wine via yum) but it never starts the game, steam installed fine... but that was about it

i'm contemplating taking the ati video card out and using the onboard intel as a test, but do you have any ideas about it ? otherwise the Vista dual boot will remain for a long time on that pc

I once had the counterstrike source games running under wine / cedega. I think I may have posted a screenshot here. Been a while since i did it but if I remember correctly you have to start the game from cli and look for any missing .dll's, google the dll name and you should get a download link. Copy it to your ~.wine/c/windows/system or system32 dir and it should get you further, I think it may have been missing fonts too...

http://fedorasolved.org/gaming-solutions...using-wine

^ maybe that link will help. If not, just ask me if you get any errors.