Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow downloads

Hi there,

I have had a post about this on the forum of my distro (ubuntu) for some time now but no one even has any suggestions for settings to examine.

When downloading files or using download speed tests such as available at testmy.net I found that I was getting very slow performance under Ubuntu. This, I believe is new and was not the case when I first installed it.

When I log in on Windows XP with all the same hardware the download speed is about double.

I have cable internet, through a router and hub. The router does degrade the performance but even when connecting directly, Windows XP is still double the speed of Ubuntu.

Even stranger is that if I boot up using the Ubuntu live CD, which allows users to try Ubuntu without actually installing it, the connection speeds are exactly comparable to Windows XP. So clearly, my installed Ubuntu OS has some setting on it that is causing this conflict and slowing things way down.

I don't expect answers with this little amount of info. I'm hoping though that someone can tell me what files I might look at to begin sorting this out.

Thanks!

try experimenting with mii-tool

cheers

anyweb

i wonder if iptables has too many rules on it? sometimes overloading the iptables rules can slow the connection down?

Code:
iptables -L

maybe route/dns/dhcp ? defn something in the network step though ;)

i can max out my connection .. (i run an ubuntu system.. hoary)

Quote:i wonder if iptables has too many rules on it? sometimes overloading the iptables rules can slow the connection down? 

Code:
iptables -L

<div>

maybe route/dns/dhcp ? defn something in the network step though ;)

i can max out my connection .. (i run an ubuntu system.. hoary)

</div>

You may be onto something. Problem is, I know nothing about iptables or how to change/configure. I did iptables -L...I don't know if it has too many rules, but the output was quite long. I'd post but it really would take up more than the viewable area on your screen. Should I post it, or is there some portion of it that would be helpful?

My apologies! I had installed firestarter on my system which for reasons I don't know caused the slowdown. I thought I had uninstalled it, but I went to check and sure enough...still there. My ip rules list shrunk dramatically and my download speed doubled. Thanks for your help though!
sweet.. firestarter is a fw creator. maybe it installed too argresive a firewall list for you're needs ..