Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing bootsplash in SuSE 9.0

Now, SuSE Linux 9.0 is pretty good as a distro, but I was slightly miffed by default of text-only boot screens and wanted to have a flashy bootsplash logo and stuff. So, I looked on www.kde-look.org and found the Aqua bootsplash screen (here).

After many tries and tries to get it to work, I finally realised what was wrong and I want to save another newbie all the trouble I had. :)This might work for other distros, but I wouldn't know.

First step:

First of all, download the theme of your choice. I'm writing this guide for Aqua 1280x1024, so you'll need to substitute your theme name and screen resolution where necessary.

Log in as root. Now, unzip the whole file you downloaded to the location /etc/bootsplash/themes. You should get a folder called Aqua or whatever.

Second step:

You need to edit the /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash file. You can browse there in KDE from K menu > Quick Browser > Root directory > etc > [more if necessary] > sysconfig > Open In File Manager. Open the file bootsplash in a text editor. If you don't know what to do at this point, you can right-click the file, choose Open with... and type kate in the box. Click OK.

Find this line of code:

Code:
## Path:    System/Boot
## Description:    selects bootsplash graphics theme
## Type:    string
## Default:    SuSE
# Choose the bootsplash theme. It should be based in
# /etc/bootsplash/themes/
THEME="SuSE"

Change the SuSE part in quotes to Aqua, or whatever. Also look for a line like this:

Code:
SPLASH="no"

If it isn't already, change no to yes, again keeping the quotes. Save and close the file.

Third step

Now, open Konsole (still as root) and type this:

Code:
# mk_initrd -s 1280x1024

You might need to substitute your screen resolution. If everything works, you should get something like this as output:

Code:
Root device:    /dev/hda4 (mounted on / as reiserfs)
Module list:    reiserfs
Kernel version: 2.4.21-99-smp4G (i386)
Kernel image:   /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-99-smp4G
Initrd image:   /boot/initrd-2.4.21-99-smp4G
Shared libs:    none
Modules:        kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.o
Bootsplash:     Aqua (1280x1024)

That last bit means it worked, hopefully :). Restart and see if it works.

BTW, I'm sorry if any of this is wrong or doesn't work, this is my first guide and my first contribution back to the people that helped me. If there are any issues, just tell me and I'll try to fix them (as best I can, I'm only new :))

goos stuff

you should consider using suse 9.3 though, its quite a bit different to the version you are using

cheers

anyweb

Quote:goos stuff 

you should consider using suse 9.3 though, its quite a bit different to the version you are using

cheers

anyweb

Do you think it is worth upgrading? I haven't looked at the difference between 9.0 and 9.3. :)