mepis kde problem [dcop]

Hi ,

after trying Mandriva I think Mepis might be more suitable after using the Live CD for 2 days or so.

I have just done a full install off the CD ,which i thought went without a hitch

dual boots with XP with GRUB

after rebooting now when KDE starts loading, after the login window I get this message & cant get past it

"there was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE the message returned for the system was could not read connection list /root/dcopserver_ricks p4_0 please check that the dcopsever process is running "

as said above I cannot get passed this window ,when OK is clicked the screen goes black for 1 second then back to the same message ,

have i missed something when setting up the install?

thanks for reading

edit google brings up this www.mepis.org/?q=node/897

being a newb , I dont know what to do I have reinstalled 3 times & still get it

if it was a bad burn [burnt at 2x on a DVD] surely the live CD would baulk also

Rick

Ouch, somewhat ignored over here Rick :( Sorry about that...! I did see this post and stuck it in my bookmarks to remind me then I forgot :unsure:

"there was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE the message returned for the system was could not read connection list /root/dcopserver_ricks p4_0 please check that the dcopsever process is running "

Ok, so if you do:

ps -ef | grep dcop

Does it return anything? Also try running it as a user rather than root. Another idea might be to remove the configuration files inside the users directories.

Like:

mv ~/.kde oldkde
mv ~/.DCOPserver_ricksp4__0 olddcop
mv ~/..DCOPserver_tone_:0 olddcoplink

That will basically reset your KDE settings.

as said above I cannot get passed this window ,when OK is clicked the screen goes black for 1 second then back to the same message ,

That is it attempting to load KDE and starting DCOPserver is one those processes.

I also remember something happening to my tmp dir once that caused a similar issue.. so confirm that it has good permissions:

ls -ld /tmp 
drwxrwxrwt  12 root root 4096 Feb 18 03:21 /tmp

^^ this bit!

If its not the same as mine do:

chmod 1777 /tmp

... bad burn...

highly unlikely that a bad burn could cause issues on a system that installed fine..