usb device no longer being detected/mounted

Hello. I've had some trouble with my usb based mp3 player. It was working a week ago but now when I plug it in nothing happens. I also had problems getting my dvd drives working but someone helped me out by editing the fstab file, so now dvds are detected again.

I don't know how to go about fixing the USB problem however. SHould there be a USB entry in the fstab? And if so could someone write how it should look like? Thanks in advance. any help would be greatly appreciated.

/dev/hda2 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1

/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 acl,user_xattr 1 2

/dev/hdc1 /windows/C ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0

/dev/hda3 swap swap pri=42 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0

/dev/dvdram /media/dvdram subfs noauto,user,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/hdb /media/dvd subfs noauto,user,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

#/dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Unplug the device, run 'dmesg|tail', reinsert the stick, run dmesg|tail' again and check what's happening. If all drivers have been loaded successfully you should see that a SCSI device has been attached to for example sda.

Once you verified that try to mount the device manually using 'mount /dev/sda /mnt/usbstick' (create /mnt/usbstick if it doesn't exist yet). If that worked run 'umount /mnt/usbstick' to unmount the device and add an entry like the following to your /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sda  /mnt/usbstick  auto  noauto,user  0 0

That means: "map" the device /dev/sda to the mount point /mnt/usbstick, try to automatically find the filesystem used on the stick, do not mount the device on boot, let a user mount it and do not do any filesystem checking.

From now on you can mount the stick with 'mount /mnt/usbstick' and unmount it with 'umount /mnt/usbstick'.

Note: depending on the data organization of the USB stick you have to substitute sda with sda1 but you'll see that after the second step!