Open up my second hard drive on here?

Hi guys, back again :D

I've now made the change so I am running fc5 on my desktop as well as laptop. In my desktop I have got 2 harddrives. 1 with all me docs on, the 2nd which is for my OS. In windows, the second harddrive showed up in my computer. On linux, it don't :(

Will I be able to see it? I need a second hdd to do all me stuff on :blink::(

I've had a browse in the /dev/disk/by-label/ folder and i can see it there! But can't open it up from there :(

Edit

After doing some more reading up, I tried the cmd fdisk -l

[Mizzy@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost Mizzy]# fdisk -l
bash: fdisk: command not found
[root@localhost Mizzy]#

I've had a browse in the /dev/disk/by-label/ folder and i can see it there! But can't open it up from there :(

That is the device.

Do:

mkdir /mnt/flashdrive
mount /dev/disk/by-label/NAME /mnt/flashdrive

Then it will be mounted and you can see the contents in /mnt/flashdrive.

[root@localhost mizzy]# mkdir /mnt/flashdrive
[root@localhost mizzy]# mount /dev/disk/by-label/Mizzy_-_Backup /mnt/flashdrive
mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'
[root@localhost mizzy]#

:( That didn't work, don't understand why :blink:

[root@localhost mizzy]# mkdir /mnt/flashdrive
[root@localhost mizzy]# mount /dev/disk/by-label/Mizzy_-_Backup /mnt/flashdrive
mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'
[root@localhost mizzy]#

:( That didn't work, don't understand why :blink:

You need the NTFS driver installed - easiest way to do this is to install the Livna yum repository, then download the package with yum. As root:

rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm

Then run:

yum -y install kmod-ntfs

Reboot and you should be able to mount it - but beware Linux can't at the moment reliably write to NTFS.

Cheers for that :)

2 other things tho, since I've done the above, at bootup I now have 2 FC5's :huh:

Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2139_FC5)

Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)

Other

That right ye? I've logged in via the top one and other is windoze.

The other thing is, when I go to mount that drive, I can get there but this error message comes up....

The folder contents could not be displayed.

You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "Flash Drive"

How do I get around that? :(

but beware Linux can't at the moment reliably write to NTFS.

Shame about that as I would really want to write to it :( Does linux just have problems writing to NTFS? Or is it ok if the HDD is Fat32?

yes. fat32 (and fat16 i think) has full and reasonably safe read/write capability in linux (i use kernel 2.6.17 - - - so i sometimes encounter permission issues, if i try making a file executable fro example. but that's natural because fat32 doesn't support this) <<<< was just to make it clear, why on earlier kernel (can't remember which ones..2.6.12 or earlier i think ) you may change the file permissions on fat32 without errors, then they seem to automatically revert... now you why it happens if you encounter this mystery lol..

[further]

linux now supports full write access to ntfs, and is a lot more stable now.(it has for quite some-time but was very unstable)

[reading]

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

Faaannnnqqquoooooo :D:D:D

That site taught me how to do it. This link http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntf..._an_ntfs_volume proved essential reading.

For me (as a user, not root) to view my second hard drive, I had to; (for other users to learn)

- mkdir /mnt/windows

- rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm

- yum -y install kmod-ntfs

- mount /dev/hdd1 /mnt/windows -t ntfs -r -o uid=Mizzy

(To unmount cmd: umount /mnt/windows)

The only thing that I haven't figured out is how to give me write access to it. I can read it, but not write to it yet :( Keeps on reading :D

-r

Mount the volume, read-only. By default, mount will attempt to mount the volume read-write. Unless forced, the driver will automatically mount the filesystem read-only.

Ok, so I changed the mount and removed the "'-r" but it still won't let me write to it :huh::( Any suggestions? I can't figure that one out :(<_<:(

6.1 Which distributions support NTFS out of the box?

Virtually all Linux Distributions support NTFS by default except RedHat/Fedora.

Is it possible that it's just Fedora? :huh:

mount will attempt to mount the volume read-write

BUT BUT BUT!! .. I would highly suggest you don't do this, find another method of exchanging the information between the distros. For instance make a small FAT32 partition, Linux and WinXP can happily share that space and write/read from it with no danger of information loss.

OK .. warning given .. This article points to the two methods available for writing to NTFS (check out the two links at the bottom of the article for the "howtos"). I know this is debian but hopeful you can find some information relating to RPM's for Fedora.

OK! Good luck if you try it ;)

BUT BUT BUT!! .. I would highly suggest you don't do this, find another method of exchanging the information between the distros. For instance make a small FAT32 partition, Linux and WinXP can happily share that space and write/read from it with no danger of information loss.)

So if I formatted it into fat32 linux would read it easily and i would be able to read and write to it? My heads spinning, i'm just looking for a quick & easy solution :D:lol:

So if I formatted it into fat32, linux would read it easily

Yes, remember that you would loose the data of the NTFS partition if you format. But WinXP will work fine on FAT32 .. and Linux will work with FAT32. FAT32 has complete support by Linux it will read/write fine. The loss is on the security side, under FAT32 no files can be made private.

So if I formatted it into fat32, linux would read it easily

Yes, remember that you would loose the data of the NTFS partition if you format. But WinXP will work fine on FAT32 .. and Linux will work with FAT32. FAT32 has complete support by Linux it will read/write fine. The loss is on the security side, under FAT32 no files can be made private.

That don't really matter I think. I used to have windows on here but now it's only linux as my main system and windows as a "just in case" kinda thing.

If I formatted it in FAT32 (using windows disk if thats good enough?) copied all my docs back over, how do I access it then? Does it just show up in my computer?

No need to reply, got it sorted :) Not done it yet, still backing up drive getting it ready to format, but i'm confident that it will work.

For anyone else who wants to do this, you need to read that: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.p...highlight=fat32

That is how to connect for the file system FAT32 :) Cheers everyone, would be lost without this site :P:D