Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's in a repository?
Seriously? Whats a repository and how does it benefit me?

Quote:A repository is a central place where data is stored and maintained. A repository can be a place where multiple databases or files are located for distribution over a network, or a repository can be a location that is directly accessible to the user without having to travel across a network.
(thank you wikipedia ;)) 

So the idea of a repository in terms of a distro is: A central area for users to collect RPMs/DEBs/etc from.

These benefit for you by allowing you to get all your favourite programs from some defined source. Otherwise you would need to hunt the web to find the right site that would have the right RPM for your system. Even then you would need that RPM to be compatible to your system and not install ontop of other RPMs files.

How do I find these repositories and use them?

it depends on your distro (suse/fedora/debian/ubuntu etc...)

each distro has it's own official and un-official (read extras !) repositories

so what distro are you using ?

cheers

anyweb

I love SuSE 10.1 KDE, but I've heard Ubuntu and Kubuntu have a good program called aptget where it installs all dependencies and I may switch based on that. What are your ideas on that?
What are the suse 10.1 installation sources you mention in the DVD/MP3 playing section of your SLED review ? I'd like to add those, I'm in dependency hell because 10.1 won't let me install a single update because it keeps telling me that there are dependency errors. I installed Suse 10.1 on the first day it was released and I haven't been able to update it once, thanks to the dependencies. I'd like to do more with these online repositories, please let me know what you think.

Just a word of advice... between SuSE 10.1 and 10.2 there were big bug fixes. I strongly suggest going to 10.2 before spending a ton of time on your install. YaST / Zen bugs were

fixed resulting in much faster loading of software and eliminated unnecessary conflict warnings and such. Overall 10.2 is MUCH better and nicer to use than even 10.1. Aside from

that, the SuSE site has a list of repositories that you can use for YaST. Here's a link to OpenSUSE list...

[/url][url=http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories]http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories

Hope that helps and enjoy!

~SxanRR