Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ubernoob -- what distro is best for gaming n graphics

two people want to start using linux --

my son because XP sux -- but he wants to still be able to play Counterstrike and WOW (World of Warcraft)

I do graphics and hate XP.

I've already investigated several linux graphics programs that I want to use:

Gimp

cinepaint

blender

inkscape

xara

I was thinking to use ubuntu but I don't really know what to use.

There's a couple of Windows graphics programs I'd like to port over to linux, so I was going to try and use Wine to do so.

I want to use Macromedia MX studio (Flash and Dreamweaver)

I'd like to be able to port in Corel Painter IX.5 and a few graphics programs I have that ran on Win 98

But the truth is I don't know a damn thing about linux and don't even know how to install it on a computer. My son's computer sits ready to have it installed on it now.

I hope someone here will know something about a direction to point us in for our needs. I'm especially concerned about peripherals and drivers, since I have a scanner, printer, tablet, card reader, external hard drive, etc. etc.

i recommend Fedora Core Release 6

more info and screenshots here

[/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2528][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2528]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2528

tnx. I hit on your links and checked them out briefly just now, and bookmarked them. I may need help getting it installed, but I'll do my best to use the info given. It may be easier than it initially looks without sufficient Starbucks flowing through my veins. (time for another cup!)

Quote:i recommend Fedora Core Release 6 

more info and screenshots here

[/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2528][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2528]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2528

per your pm to me, if you already have XP installed and dont want to lose your data then all you need to do is partition your hard disc and DUAL boot both windows and fedora, easy.

use partition magic to do the partitioning for you, have at least 10 gb free for fedora (create a new blank partition). when you've downloaded the fedora DVD (or 5 cd's) then boot from it and let fedora install itself and autopartition the new blank partition

fedora will handle the dual booting via GRUB and when you start your computer you can choose between either windows xp or fedora

cheers

anyweb

That's fine, except that this computer is NOT the one that I want to use Linux on. I do not want to partition the hard drive and run Linux on this computer. I simply wanted to do the download on this computer and burn the CD, and install Fedora on my son's computer.

Can I download the contents and burn the CDs on my computer without it creating a Linux OS on my system?

for myself, I am particularly concerned with support for peripherals and graphics cards. As I previously stated, there are also some Windows programs that I absolutely want to run.

As long as Linux will run the old version of Counterstrike, and also run World of Warcraft, my son is ok with it.

I read the entire installation guide, and went to a couple of other Linux sites, and am still not clear on the process of starting a download and burning a CD. I thought it would be a simple process of downloading it into a folder on my computer and then burning the contents of that folder onto a CD. But I am not so sure if that is the case. Therefore, since critical data is at stake, I'm checking it out first.

Quote:per your pm to me, if you already have XP installed and dont want to lose your data then all you need to do is partition your hard disc and DUAL boot both windows and fedora, easy. 

use partition magic to do the partitioning for you, have at least 10 gb free for fedora (create a new blank partition). when you've downloaded the fedora DVD (or 5 cd's) then boot from it and let fedora install itself and autopartition the new blank partition

fedora will handle the dual booting via GRUB and when you start your computer you can choose between either windows xp or fedora

cheers

anyweb

ah ok

well first you need to download the ISO files you need,

for example if you want to download the DVD version then get this one

[/url][url=ftp://ftp.cica.es/fedora/linux/core/6/i38...-6-i386-DVD.iso]ftp://ftp.cica.es/fedora/linux/core/6/i38...-6-i386-DVD.iso

then when you have downloaded the ISO file, you need to burn that ISO image TO a dvd.

use Nero or Roxio or ultraiso to burn 'image from iso' file to do this.

repeat as necessary for all ISO's that you download (5 if you download the cd's, one if you download the DVD)

Quote:File: FC-6-i386-DVD.iso 3442574 KB 10/18/2006 02:49:00 AMFile: FC-6-i386-disc1.iso 692168 KB 10/18/2006 02:46:00 AM

File: FC-6-i386-disc2.iso 697500 KB 10/18/2006 02:47:00 AM

File: FC-6-i386-disc3.iso 694816 KB 10/18/2006 02:48:00 AM

File: FC-6-i386-disc4.iso 698466 KB 10/18/2006 02:50:00 AM

File: FC-6-i386-disc5.iso 661312 KB 10/18/2006 02:51:00 AM

once done burning, you can boot your target computer with that DVD/cd and start the installation process

cheers

anyweb