Sign in to follow this  
sieggie

Grub error 17

OK this is a long story. I had originally installed Ubuntu on my computer to dueal boot with XP. Grub had worked fine until i got a new Sata HD. The other HD's had both been IDE one had windows on it the other had Ubuntu. When i plugged my Sata drive in I recived a Grub error (don't remember # this was about 2 months ago). I was able to boot into windows or linux when i unplugged the sata drive. When i booted into windows i had installed Acronis boot selector. This allowed me to use my sata drive at the cost of ubuntu. So now after a windows crash i decided to reinstall windows and then ubuntu on my Sata drive (I also uninstalled Acronis). They both are installed on 2 partitons on my sata drive. I now try to load into Grub and the menu loads however every option i choose for linux gives me Grub error 17 and Windows gives me NTDFS is missing.

I have gone looking for help and was told on the grub command line type:

root (hd2,1)
setup (hd0)

the root command goes through however the setup command gives me error 17 again. I do not know what to do anymore that is the most information i am able to get on how to fix this problem. My Hd's are set up like this:

hd0 = hda

hd1 = hdb

hd2 = sda (2 partitions 1=windows, 2=ubuntu)

PLease if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. If you need anymore info just ask but please bear in mind i'm a really large linux noob so i need to know the commands to access most of the files. Thanks to anyone if they can help