Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUSE 10.0 XGL and Compiz problem

hi,

i've already searched and tried to install some of the rpm's of xgl and compiz but there are too many dependencies not in the opensuse.org site, so i ended up with nothing there. I tried to use YOU but it won't find XGL and Compiz packages so I don't have luck there either. What could I do with this problem? I wanted to install XGL and Compiz packages to make my SLED 10.0 cool with it. Any help pls?

hi and welcome!

please read this

[/url][url=http://linux-noob.com/review/suse/sled10/#video]http://linux-noob.com/review/suse/sled10/#video

cheers

anyweb

hi,

i've already done that and the fact is, i think i've installed my nvidia driver already. one thing that i find strange is that when i open the graphics and monitor hardware on YaST, the enable 3D hardware acceleration is grayed out. My real problem is I can't install the XGL and Compiz packages. Thanks for your reply.

if you've installed the nvidia driver correctly then you'll see a BIG white nvidia logo just before X starts and you get the login prompt. do you ? if not, the nvidia drivers are not installed and that would explain why it's greyed out

cheers

anyweb

hi anyweb,

yes, it shows but i wonder why it's grayed out??? anyway i tried to find the drivers with XGL and Compiz also. i really don't have any idea about the disabled 3D acceleration.

hi,

yes, it shows but i wonder why it's grayed out??? anyway i tried to find the drivers with XGL and Compiz also. i really don't have any idea about the disabled 3D acceleration. Will it be better to download SUSE 10.1 or 10.2, so that XGL and Compiz will have been already added in it's package? many thanks

It will definitely benefit you to upgrade to 10.2 . In addition to greater capability, you'll see a much shorter boot time than you would with 10.0 . XGL was more of a concept than a reality when 10.0 was big, and now 10.2 is amazing. It even loaded XGL into my KDE install. You won't regret upgrading. You can PM me or reply to this if you have questions.