znx

Requesting Scripts

There is a few guys in the forums (one of which is me) who are capable scripters. One of the things that you will learn to enjoy with Linux is how to script. If you do something with your machine everyday, if you click on 10 buttons when ever you login, then a script is what you need.

Scripts are in essence the heart and sole of a UNIX/Linux system, they represent the way that the system is designed. Each tool has a specific purpose and is created to only undertake that purpose. For instance "cat" can only do one job, it can't suddenly start doing "rm", in comparison under Windows when tools are built they regularly do multiple jobs.

So under Linux what you need is a glue and that is scripts.

If you have any requests, any queries, any wishes.... then ask and we can but try to find a solution for you.

There is a few guys in the forums (one of which is me) who are capable scripters. One of the things that you will learn to enjoy with Linux is how to script. If you do something with your machine everyday, if you click on 10 buttons when ever you login, then a script is what you need.

Scripts are in essence the heart and sole of a UNIX/Linux system, they represent the way that the system is designed. Each tool has a specific purpose and is created to only undertake that purpose. For instance "cat" can only do one job, it can't suddenly start doing "rm", in comparison under Windows when tools are built they regularly do multiple jobs.

So under Linux what you need is a glue and that is scripts.

If you have any requests, any queries, any wishes.... then ask and we can but try to find a solution for you.

This is a great idea and an awesome way to improve your scripting skills!

Hey! I'm back. I would agree scripting is one of the cool things in linux. If you cant figure it out, or need help getting started, or just have some weird ideas (as I did when I started) let us know

How about - as a starter - you post some of your favourite/useful scripts along with details of what they do and how they do it (problem specification, algorithm analysis etc) so that potential noobs can gain from your snippets - or possibly discuss good practise and/or better ways of doing things?

Just thinking of creating a small cookbook using forum threads.

I'll kick off with a few of mine later...

I'd like to have a script that automatically finds and checks proxies, that also work with IRC and normal browsing.

Can it be done?