Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's using Fedora 8?
Wondering who's using Fedora 8 here at Linux-Noob. How is it working out for you? I'm running it on a Toshiba laptop and so far it's awesome. Even have Compiz-Fusion working!

Quote:Wondering who's using Fedora 8 here at Linux-Noob. How is it working out for you? I'm running it on a Toshiba laptop and so far it's awesome. Even have Compiz-Fusion working!

I'm using Fedora 8, the x86_64 version. Its the best version so far. The install worked fine. The only issue I had was after an update, pulse audio refused to work, however that was sorted with a little guidance from the fedora forums.

Features I love so far are Pulse Audio, GNOME 2.20, Java ICE TEA plug-in and since I got some updates the distro has a whole seems a lot more responsive. I have turned Compiz-Fusion off, I found it to be slow but I suspect that is more an Nvidia series 8 issue (not tried since updating to the new Nvidia beta driver). I'm not regretting updating from Fedora 7 one bit. For a bleeding edge distro, this will be the 4th version I've found to work with my hardware out of the box. I'm very impressed.

I'm having no serious issues here either. Sound is working perfectly. Wasn't the case with Fedora 7. Compiz isn't slow here, but I'm using the intel driver 'factory installed'. Iced Tea seems to be working very well. Haven't even bothered with other Javas. Flash is fine. Can play most of the audio I want to play. DVD's work but I'm one who believes that watching a movie on a laptop is a complete waste of time when you have a perfectly good TV. Wireless is better than it has ever been, but still a bit cranky. If I could just get my BlackBerry to work well with Fedora.... Not easy apparently.

Hello,

I have a Fedora 8 installation on one of my machines, works very good.

i use it daily here on a Latitude D430, and it works beautifully

lovely distro !

cheers

anyweb

I have F8 running as a secondary OS to Kubuntu on my main desktop machine, and it's doing very well for me. I haven't had much luck getting the Nvidia 3D driver loaded, but I'm not really that bothered about it on that setup anyway.
I have been using Fedora 8 x86_64 on my desktop for a week or two now and I love it. Besides a few random glitches, which I will probably work out, everything seems to work fine. It seems to be quicker to boot and to load programs such as firefox as compared to Fedora 7. I don't regret the switch at all. Fedora rocks.

Quote:I have been using Fedora 8 x86_64 on my desktop for a week or two now and I love it. Besides a few random glitches, which I will probably work out, everything seems to work fine. It seems to be quicker to boot and to load programs such as firefox as compared to Fedora 7. I don't regret the switch at all. Fedora rocks.
Do you think there's any advantage to the 64 bit version. Can you see / feel that there's any difference?

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="11759" data-ipsquote-username="rooster" data-cite="rooster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="3316" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have been using Fedora 8 x86_64 on my desktop for a week or two now and I love it. Besides a few random glitches, which I will probably work out, everything seems to work fine. It seems to be quicker to boot and to load programs such as firefox as compared to Fedora 7. I don't regret the switch at all. Fedora rocks.
Do you think there's any advantage to the 64 bit version. Can you see / feel that there's any difference?

</div></blockquote>

I run an AMD x2 64 4800+ With 4GB Ram and SATA2 Hdd's, I find 64bit to be the same or a little faster on most things, but a lot faster at extraction. I also do a lot of transcoding, mostly my DVD collection to harddrive storage, this is a lot faster. It does use more memory than 32bit, but still not filled 4GB. Fedora 8 64bit seems much smoother and more responsive than Fedora 7 64bit was. I am thinking of building up an old machine as a myth-box, but really wondering if I should use a motherboard I have and go 64bit with a cheap AMD cpu. I was really that impressed with it. Also running the new Opera 9.5 x86_64, I find this to be faster when browsing (could be the new 9.5 version as well though).

Lot of opinions on this, some say its not worth it. I say though if you apply the same logic they do, we'd still be on 8bit CPU's. If you have the hardware, not wanting for memory (2GB+) and most of your Apps are available as 64bit, then its worth updating. I wouldn't rush out and buy a new computer to go 64bit though.

I am using Fedora 8 as the primary OS on two machines--one 32-bit (P4 processor) and one 64-bit (Core 2 Duo processor). Both are fine, although the wireless networking on both with WPA encryption (like most Linux distributions) leaves a lot to be desired. Overall, it is almost certainly the best Fedora release yet (IMO, at least).