Sign in to follow this  
xenomuse

Insert fedora core 8 (disc 1) for installing packages ?

Hi

I recently shifted to linux...infact few hours ago. I am using fedora core 8 and I wanna use the gnuplot package. So I go to the add/remove softwares and type in "gnuplot".

I get the list I select it and then press "apply". Then after resolving dependencies I get this message

"insert fedorecore8 (disc1) " ----> I have two options OK and Cancel [:(]

I have the fedora core 8 DVD inside the DVD ROM.

p.s : I had lost the fedore core 8 DVD which was originally used to install fedora core 8. So I recently downloaded .img file and burnt it on a DVD and inserted it.

you'll need the original DVD or just burn a new copy from the download ISO file,

or change your preferences so that instead of asking for the DVD/CD that it looks to the internet instead

or change your preferences so that instead of asking for the DVD/CD that it looks to the internet instead

just a related issue :-

I am unable to use the package manager without the internet connection. It won't just start. I wish to use it only with my fedora dvd.

What is the way to set this preference ?

I only see the repositories option under Edit in the package manager. If I remove all the other repo's and just leave the install media option checked then would

that do what I want ?

Are there any other way to achieve updation of packages from just the dvd or just from the internet ? where to set the preferences from

nishith

The install media (dvd/cd) is set as a repository by default. If you have a fast internet connection it's recommended to remove it - so you'll always get the newest packages. To remove the repository-file (root privileges needed):

su -

then

rm -f /etc/yum.repos.d/Fedora-install-media.repo

this will stop it from prompting to insert the DVD/CD

cheers

anyweb