Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with screen resolution in 8.04

Okay, so I installed Ubuntu 8.04 with WUBI and everything was fine except for one major detail: I wasn't able to select any resolution above 800x600 in the display settings (they just weren't there to select).

I figured this was because I didn't have the driver for my graphics card installed, so I let Ubuntu grab it for me and restarted my computer, but all this did was restrict me to either choosing between 320x240 or 640x480 resolution!

Here's the kicker, though: I uninstall 8.04 and install 7.04 (once again, with WUBI) and my resolution is fine, so this leads me to believe that 8.04 could be bugged when it comes to my graphics card.

Here's my rig:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+

XFX Nvidia GeForce 7950GT 512MB

2GB DDR2 4200 RAM

250GB HD

Soundblaster SB Live Soundcard

Come to think of it, I believe I had Ubuntu 8.04 64bit installed, I'll install the 32 bit version and see if the problem is there. In the mean time, though, any help would be appreciated! :)

Well, installing 8.04 32bit didn't help anything. :(

You could try explicitly reinstalling the official NVIDIA 3D driver, like so. In Terminal, enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new

then restart the machine. It's possible this will simply do the same as you've already described, but it's worth a shot.

What make/model is your monitor? The resolution could be failing to set properly due to failure to autodetect the monitor. Additionally, is the graphics card plugged directly into the monitor, or is there something like a KVM switch in between?

Unfortunately, I haven't had experience with Wubi, so I can only help from a general perspective.

Quote:You could try explicitly reinstalling the official NVIDIA 3D driver, like so. In Terminal, enter: 

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new

<div>

then restart the machine. It's possible this will simply do the same as you've already described, but it's worth a shot.

What make/model is your monitor? The resolution could be failing to set properly due to failure to autodetect the monitor. Additionally, is the graphics card plugged directly into the monitor, or is there something like a KVM switch in between?

Unfortunately, I haven't had experience with Wubi, so I can only help from a general perspective.

</div>

I'll try re-installing the driver in a bit, but in the meantime, here's the info you asked for:

My monitor is a CRT, the company that made it is named MAG and the model number is a DX1595. I think it's a pretty old monitor, considering that I had to do some digging to find the drivers for it in Windows. The only thing in between the monitor and graphics card is a DVI to VGA adapter (which I need).

Well, tried updating the driver from the Terminal and it still didn't work. :(

What's throwing me off is that everything is fine in 7.04. You'd think it'd be the exact opposite...

Oh, and is there a command or some file that I can edit to force the resolution that I want?

Quote:Oh, and is there a command or some file that I can edit to force the resolution that I want?

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a way to do this in 8.04.

If you still have your xorg.conf from Feisty, or can reinstall to make it again (yes, a right pain), you should in theory be able to copy it to your 8.04 install and have it work.

This is what I do with my CTX VL950 monitor/GeForce 6600 GT configuration, where the correct res/refresh rate is never detected manually.

Okay, where would my xorg.conf be located?

Quote:Okay, where would my xorg.conf be located?

Sorry, should have said:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf