Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
after boot up, can not get to login screen

After boot up, I can not get to the user login screen. I am stuck with the arrow cursor and Fedora spinner graphic in the middle of the screen. This spins for about 5 seconds, the screen goes black and then the arrow+spinner pops up again for an other 5 seconds. This repeats forever.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

is this after a clean install or what ?

can you open a separate terminal ?

Quote:is this after a clean install or what ?
No. This is not after a clean install. CAVEAT: To be honest, my wife uses this computer and I can not be sure what happened. The GRUB menu does have an "Upgrade to Sulphur" as a second selection. Maybe she accidentally pressed it on a boot up without knowing.

Quote:can you open a separate terminal ?
Uhmm..... I do not know how to do that. How would I check?
When the spinner appears, is it possible to press Ctrl-Alt-F1, or Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or so on up to F6) and get to a command line terminal?
Yes. After pressing CtrlAltF1 I am at a terminal prompt. What should I do from here?

Quote:Yes. After pressing CtrlAltF1 I am at a terminal prompt. What should I do from here?

At this terminal, log in with the username root and your root password.

What output do you get from the following? (unfortunately, you may have to manually copy the output)

Code:
tail /var/log/messages
tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log
dmesg | tail

Note those are three separate commands, so run them each separately and record the output.

I also have the same problem. Any solution?

is your system a clean install or something else ? do you get any errors in the logs mentioned by hybrid above ? have you done a

Code:
yum -y update

as root to update yourself ?