salemh

HELP on FreeNX for Fedora Core 6

Hey everyone, First of all i am a total noob especially when it comes to Linux. So be patient.

I had the FreeNX installed on the linux box and i was able to remote desktop from a windows machine. UNTIL one day i needed to map a network drive on the windows machine from the Linux box (which ofcourse i didnt do myself) so the person that did that told me he had to turn off a couple of things among iptables.

Here is what i did from there on:

1. uninstalled all nx software on the Linux machine.

2. reinstalled NX using the yum command thing.

3. installed NoMachine NX free edition for Linux from ----> http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=540

4. messed around with the iptables in an effort to try to open port 22 (which i have no idea whether its open or closed)

The problem:

when i try to connect to the linux box from windows client i get the following message

"The NX service is not available or the NX access was disabled on host xxx.xxx.xxxx"

In the detail section:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 5128

NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command

NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files

NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options

NX> 200 Connected to address: 9.26.156.235 on port: 22

NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx

NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey

NX> 204 Authentication failed.

I really need some help on this and if its not too much i would like to fix this problem without affecting the network drive mapped on the windows machine.

the authentication failed bit is important

you need to verify username and password are correct and remember, linux is CaSe SeNsiTivE

cheers

anyweb

the authentication failed bit is important

you need to verify username and password are correct and remember, linux is CaSe SeNsiTivE

cheers

anyweb

Could it be something else, because it used to work but not anymore and i am using the same authentication as i used before.

4. messed around with the iptables in an effort to try to open port 22 (which i have no idea whether its open or closed)

use "iptables -L -n" and post the output here, or alternatively go to another machine (yes, even windows) and type "telnet SERVERNAME 22". If 22 is closed, you'll get a connection refused message. If it's open, you should see a OpenSSH banner, like:

SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.2

The error message suggests to me that the key originally gives as part of the SSH handshake has now changed on the server - this change is detected by the client so refuses to connect for fear someone is trying to spoof the server connection.

It happens when I use PuTTY too - all I need to do is look for that key in Putty, delete it then reconnect and let it accept the new key. I don't know how to do this in NX client, but there's probably a list of "known keys" or "known hosts" somewhere in NX client which will have remembered these keys.