anyweb

site spamming in progress ?

i'd like to think that the site was busy but look at this

> Online Users

There are 74 online users browsing:

20 members and 54 visitors

anyweb, ssrs10, Ask Jeeves*, GigaG33k, Condor, wootSRT, Chib, mobilelawyer, snoopY, F

• Like 1

as a direct result of the above i've now disabled Personal Messangers for members

and will go through the list above and ban all those accounts unless someone can give me a reason not to

sorry....

if any of you got a spam from these lowlifes can you please post the details here ?

if any of you got a spam from these lowlifes can you please post the details here ?

You have a new personal message ( linux-noob.com/forums )

linux-noob.com/forums

<admin@linux-noob.com> Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 7:11 AM

To: xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

vois22,

mignulikz has sent you a new personal message titled "Hello".

Mine was spamola from user: mignulikz

Could not access the actual message content because you had turned off personal messaging by the time I got to my email and logged in.

hi and thanks for the info, unfortunately we got stung and i apologise...

i've re-enabled pm but only 1pm allowed per time...

still dont know how the spambot manages to email EVERYONE on the forum using PM.....

Hey,

Just received the same sort of mail from the same user. Good thing I didnt click on the link.

It was weird cuz i have not visited L-noob in ages - so a message was a little odd. :) Noticed this post and turned out that my suspicion was right.

Thanks for the quick update. Hope u can fix it...

I had the same thing also.

nb: Anyweb: many of those IPs resolve to known home connections, so it may be an idea to forward them to the relevant upstream ISPs.

Some ISPs take a dim view of trojaned/compromised machines, so could yank their inet access until they're clean; others may just warn the customer. It may not rid the world of some open relays, but nonetheless a few ISPs may still decide to take action: it doesn't harm to forward reports.

hi DUngeon-dave, i've been thinking that maybe not all those users were the spambots, some of them seem to be genuine users that joined years ago, maybe they signed in to READ the spam pm that the original spammer sent...

i don't know

There were several of these in my inbox. just deleted them.

i'd like to think that the site was busy but look at this

> Online Users

There are 74 online users browsing:

20 members and 54 visitors

anyweb, ssrs10, Ask Jeeves*, GigaG33k, Condor, wootSRT, Chib, mobilelawyer, snoopY, F

well one positive note from this, it brings all the lost souls like me out of the woodwork :D sheesh i can't believe it's almost 2 years since i registered. where the heck have i been. let me get busy and update my profile and catch up on some reading.

glad you were able to get this under control. the link is inactive in my pm box. i was able to copy/paste but it redirects to 127.0.0.1, hahaha. meaning the site it goes to is in my hosts file. these spammers are nothin' but failures, haha.

alright let's see if i can stop twittering long enough to contribute something.

welcome back guys, even if this was an unwelcome welcome back...

Welcome back, all - or in my case, hello from a new face!

Welcome back, all - or in my case, hello from a new face!

Not new but haven't visited in a while

Aye same here. Been a little while for me...sadly, still a noob though.

I have been playing around with linux since about 2000. I didn't get really serious about it until about 2004. Thats when I came across this board. There have been some people in here that really helped me out and I learned a lot from, namely p38. I jumped on irc since a lot of the people on the board were on irc. Unfortunately the IRC channel is run by a few people that dictate to the rest and they really are no longer interested in helping anyone. But, thats ok.. things change and I understand that.

news about the PM spam here,

We have received numerous reports from clients regarding spamming on the Personal Message (PM) system in IP.Board 2.3.6 and below. After consulting with reCaptcha (the provider of the captcha system in 2.3.6) we believe that humans are being used to bypass the captcha and then the newly created account is given to an automated script which sends PMs in huge quantities to your members.

The patch we have released today introduces a flood control setting to the PM system in IP.Board 2.3.6. This will limit how fast a member can send PMs thereby giving you and your moderators time to ban the offending account.

The download of 2.3.6 in the client area has been updated with this patch. If you already have 2.3.6 installed, you can download the patch along with instructions in the news announcement on the company forums. Applying the patch is quite easy but if you have questions feel free to contact support.

Full announcement and patch download:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/2829...ip-board-2-3-6/

This message was sent by: Invision Power Services, PO Box 2365, Forest, VA 24551

I have now patched the server.

as regards the IRC channel, its a long story which ended here > https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3730

as regards linux-noob.com, for anyone that cares I run it solely and it has lost me money since the day i started it, i pay for it 100% and do it for the commuinity so that others can learn.

with all the personal attacks on me lately i'm considering getting out

cheers

anyweb

The really sad thing here is that I have never had any problem with anyweb but flukex on the other hand I definitely have. In the entire time that I was in that channel on efnet I never once personally witnessed flukex helping anyone. I read through the link you posted and that is certainly sad. However, it appears that you have a new channel up and if this is still true I will join up. As far as losing money, I have given to cause of this site on several occasion monetarily and would consider doing so again. I realize that the money given doesn't pay for all this or compensate you for your time but I would like to think that it's helped in some small way. I personally would hate to see it go. :-)

news about the PM spam here,

We have received numerous reports from clients regarding spamming on the Personal Message (PM) system in IP.Board 2.3.6 and below. After consulting with reCaptcha (the provider of the captcha system in 2.3.6) we believe that humans are being used to bypass the captcha and then the newly created account is given to an automated script which sends PMs in huge quantities to your members.

The patch we have released today introduces a flood control setting to the PM system in IP.Board 2.3.6. This will limit how fast a member can send PMs thereby giving you and your moderators time to ban the offending account.

The download of 2.3.6 in the client area has been updated with this patch. If you already have 2.3.6 installed, you can download the patch along with instructions in the news announcement on the company forums. Applying the patch is quite easy but if you have questions feel free to contact support.

Full announcement and patch download:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/2829...ip-board-2-3-6/

This message was sent by: Invision Power Services, PO Box 2365, Forest, VA 24551

I have now patched the server.

as regards the IRC channel, its a long story which ended here > https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3730

as regards linux-noob.com, for anyone that cares I run it solely and it has lost me money since the day i started it, i pay for it 100% and do it for the commuinity so that others can learn.

with all the personal attacks on me lately i'm considering getting out

cheers

anyweb

The really sad thing here is that I have never had any problem with anyweb but flukex on the other hand I definitely have. In the entire time that I was in that channel on efnet I never once personally witnessed flukex helping anyone. I read through the link you posted and that is certainly sad. However, it appears that you have a new channel up and if this is still true I will join up. As far as losing money, I have given to cause of this site on several occasion monetarily and would consider doing so again. I realize that the money given doesn't pay for all this or compensate you for your time but I would like to think that it's helped in some small way. I personally would hate to see it go. :-)

thanks for the kind words, and i do appreciate the donations you have made to the site and no i'm not asking for more

I'll do my best to keep it here, as I have done since it launched,

please do your best to join in,

cheers

anyweb

Modernbob, i really dont think you have any idea what the hell you are talking about....

i was one of the people that helped the most in that channel. and i Posted very useful stuff to this forums all the time. as well, i helped anyweb anytime i could.

Modernbob, you are a farce sir and have no idea what you are talking about.

please chill out, there is no need to fight, there are more serious things happening in the world.

peace

anyweb

PFFT.. I have witnessed what you refer to as help. enuf said on the subject for me.. next

Modernbob, i really dont think you have any idea what the hell you are talking about....

i was one of the people that helped the most in that channel. and i Posted very useful stuff to this forums all the time. as well, i helped anyweb anytime i could.

Modernbob, you are a farce sir and have no idea what you are talking about.

okay, guys - that's enough, I'm afraid.

I don't know the full details of the spat - but that's irrelevant to this thread, which was about Spambots hitting the site.

If you wish to continue discussion then please open another thread and continue in there. At least that way it will not give the impression that the IRC furore is as a result of site spamming, or that IRC people are responsible for site spamming.

Thread locked.