Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple vs Samsung

Apple vs Samsung Lawsuit

Apple vs Samsung Battle

I just wanted to know what people's opinions are on the whole Apple vs Samsung thing. That Apple

says Samsung Galaxy S2 and the galaxy pad looks too much like apple's iphone and ipad?

I Think thing samsung has every right because the software they are using is different and I don't see

a problem with Apple having to compete the results are both companies wanting to make better products :)

I haven't used a fondleslab of either kind, so am unqualified to comment.

Although they "look" the same, are they the same? They're different operating systems, the appearance of the screen stuff varies. I mean, the first time I saw an iPad I thought "Star Trek Next Gen tricorder".

I think Apple are frightened that people will pick up a Galaxy tablet, thinking it an iPad, and prefer it over Apple's offerings.

i wonder when Dunlop will sue Michellin, their products look very similar.... Apple need to grow up in my view..

PS i have a galaxy tablet and i like it but i would prefer an iPad2 but its all about the price...

Isn't the other point that they run different apps? Galaxy runs android, flash etc; iPad runs iOS stuff. To my mind, that makes them different devices - kinda like Microsoft trying to sue Linux for a graphical OS.

Oh, wait... erm...

Welcome to the forums BTW, Warthog.

Quote:Isn't the other point that they run different apps? Galaxy runs android, flash etc; iPad runs iOS stuff. To my mind, that makes them different devices - kinda like Microsoft trying to sue Linux for a graphical OS.

Oh, wait... erm...

Welcome to the forums BTW, Warthog.

Yeah Welcome to the forums Warthog :)

And on the other if there is no concurrence the quality of the products would be less. Because they wouldn't need to make any effort to make good quality products. Having two companies compete makes it interesting and results in better products for the consumer :)

Quote:I think Apple are frightened that people will pick up a Galaxy tablet, thinking it an iPad, and prefer it over Apple's offerings.

I think you're absolutely right about this. (From Apple's point of view, a similar thing happened before with the Macintosh versus the IBM PC + Windows, and threatens to happen also with the iPhone vs Android phones). From Apple's point of view, they sit down, design a product that changes the game (look at tablet computers before the iPad versus tablet computers after the iPad), then others produce something similar, perhaps cheaper, but in their opinion inferior, and they fear customers choose the other product.

The question is, then -- should this be allowed? If Apple do things like the iPhone and Pad, that completely change consumers' expectations of a product category, should everyone else be forced to do it 'the old way'? For how long should the exclusivity last? Are the similarities between Samsung's devices and the iPhone and iPad so significant that it really constitues 'infringement' rather than 'inspiration'?

These are questions I'm still wrestling with. Coming from a Mac and a Linux background, I want robust, strong competition, because that benefits consumers and keeps things fresh, but I also recognise that Apple might legitimately feel like they are the ones who take big risks with new product ideas, and everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.