can filesystem become corrupt?

I copied all my data from my desktop over to my laptop(now it keeps saying out of diskspace, clean up date to add more file)

and now my applications/drivers keep on crashing(ie:firefox,chrome, thunderbird,wireless).Is it possible

that a filesystem(ext4) can become corrupt after being being overfull for too long? Will check the logs

later when I get back home.

Filesystem corruption can always occur, no matter what the filesystem is. EXT3, EXT4, ReiserFS and NTFS all have "journalling" capabilities to deal with - and fix - corruption when it occurs.

The usual cause is something interrupting a write, such as a power-down, badly stopping a process (yes, "kill -9".. I'm looking AT YOU!) or a partition full/quota exceeded limitation. The journal should detect the failed write attempt and roll back the file to its previous state, or roll forwards the intended write before the outage - the result should either be "successful write" or "completely untouched", as opposed to "partially done but you need to do some work".

I think the situation could just be a full partition - use "df" to check.

If you're using LVM and there's unallocated extents then you could grow the filesystem to give yourself more space.