inittux

Building my own home server

I've decided I want to build my own server and use it just as a server and for nothing else. That way I can just keep my desktop as a desktop and setup a home network and have my desktop running on a private network etc. Like I mentioned in my other post about wanting to proxy my internet traffic. I got two setups which aren't too expensive. I have put two systems together, one a a little different then the other. Just wanted your opinions.

*I removed the links cuz I found something better, see posts below here*

• Like 6

I found something better which looks cheaper. A backbone builder, adding all the components together I added were about 200 euro's. Won't be ordering anything till end of this month or the next

That should make a pretty beefy server. You'll probably want to install the proprietary AMD/ATI drivers, if you run a GUI, but it looks great. And by the looks of things, a good price too.

That should make a pretty beefy server. You'll probably want to install the proprietary AMD/ATI drivers, if you run a GUI, but it looks great. And by the looks of things, a good price too.

I'd run it with out a gui, just basic server install. I'd run it as my backbone. I'd want to set it up connected to the internet. have my proxy/filter on it. and maybe also use it as a file server donno. Or

maybe run a guuid on it. to run vms. so I could run a file server virtually or something like that. But the point is I'd want to run it multi purpose. fileserver, proxy, etc and see if I get it to work.

Perhaps even as a VirtualBox/Xen host for running many virtual servers on one physical machine? That would give you a lot of flexibility for playing and testing with all sorts of distributions and server types.

Perhaps even as a VirtualBox/Xen host for running many virtual servers on one physical machine? That would give you a lot of flexibility for playing and testing with all sorts of distributions and server types.

You mean like physical machine running proxy/filter, then also having virtual hosts being fileserver, or other distros as server?

You could do that, yes. A world of possibilities. :D Before my server became a 'production' server, I used it (albeit slowly, at the time) to run VMware Server to run several other operating systems.

You could do that, yes. A world of possibilities. biggrin.png Before my server became a 'production' server, I used it (albeit slowly, at the time) to run VMware Server to run several other operating systems.

to run a multi setup like that is it better to run vmware or virtualbox?

I used VMware back then because VirtualBox didn't exist! VirtualBox should be fine, the free VMware Server app that I then used is now too out of date and you'd have to buy VMware.

A very different approach is that of Xen -- it's more complicated and less 'consumer-y', but it can be used on a much larger scale. It also has a cooler logo.

I used VMware back then because VirtualBox didn't exist! VirtualBox should be fine, the free VMware Server app that I then used is now too out of date and you'd have to buy VMware.

A very different approach is that of Xen -- it's more complicated and less 'consumer-y', but it can be used on a much larger scale. It also has a cooler logo.

Ah ok. I'll have a look as xen then. but virtualbox has done a great job for me so far.

Ah ok. I'll have a look as xen then. but virtualbox has done a great job for me so far.

It may or may not be better for what you want to do -- I imagine, though I'm not sure, that VirtualBox requires you to have a GUI and treats virtual machines in a certain way. VirtualBox is most certainly easier to use and to get started with, but Xen is probably better if you're doing virtualisation on a large scale (hence why many VPS providers use Xen, for example).

ah ok that's true :)

ah ok that's true

Really I just like the panda.

XenFuPanda_NoLogo.png

haha yeah it looks awesome. Yeah I guess I'll go for virtualbox then, since I'm used to working with then. I would install a gui. just the get the virtual boxes running. other then that I just want use command line.

Linux is addicting and so many options biggrin.png I wander how much I'll have learned a year from now smile.png

My goal really is to maybe in 2-3 years to be a junior linux system admin. That's my dream job

I found the drivers for that video chip. Probably easier for now to install a gui to to setup virtual box with virtual machines and then manage/admin everything via command line via ssh

Want to become a pro in the command line or at least fine my way around it easier.

Still need to figure out mod_security, which is still a pain in the ass. Can't wait to start on IDS.

ah ok that's true

Really I just like the panda.

XenFuPanda_NoLogo.png

Makes me think of Kung Fu Panda ;)

My goal really is to maybe in 2-3 years to be a junior linux system admin.

Not wanting to put too fine a point on it but... you're *already* a Linux sysadmin. Maybe not for an external organisation (or in a paid vocation), but what you're doing is already System Administration. You're adminning your own server!

Now, once you start to wear smelly Tshirts (like me) and have a shaggy hairstyle (like Hybrid), you'll have made it to full-blown Lunix Geek!

biggrin.png

• Like 2

My goal really is to maybe in 2-3 years to be a junior linux system admin.

Not wanting to put too fine a point on it but... you're *already* a Linux sysadmin. Maybe not for an external organisation (or in a paid vocation), but what you're doing is already System Administration. You're adminning your own server!

Now, once you start to wear smelly Tshirts (like me) and have a shaggy hairstyle (like Hybrid), you'll have made it to full-blown Lunix Geek!

biggrin.png

I like how you put that biggrin.png If the like button worked on the forum. You would have to ban me for spamming it wink.pngbiggrin.png

And I was thinking of setting up my home server Raid 1 2x500gb or something like that? I have never done anything

with raid so is that a good setup?

I've decided I'm going to go for KVM when it comes to virtualization since it's the new RedHat standard.

RAID1 is what I use (mirroring) - RAID0 isn't really RAID since it provides no redundancy, despite its name.

I like how you put that biggrin.png If the like button worked on the forum.

Hmm, didn't realise that feature wasn't working...

Try it now ;)

• Like 1

I've figured out the final components for my home server. Although I'm going to wait to buy anything till the situation in Asia gets better. Since hard disk prices have sky rocketed.

What you think?

backbone-server.png

http://www.serverspl...vers/658553-421 - another offer that some friends have been talking about...

Looks nice but if I compare the hardware and use the same 250GB hard drive. The system I found still seems better. Only thing better is that there's more room for 4x hard drives so more storage. my cpu is better and got double the ram. Still need to think about it tongue.png thanks though. If I can find it and order it here. I may consider it smile.png

and don't official servers make alot of noise? if it's going to be in the same room as I sleep? It's very nice size though smaller then the asus barebone I found :D

http://www.serverspl...vers/658553-421 - another offer that some friends have been talking about...

Looks nice but if I compare the hardware and use the same 250GB hard drive. The system I found still seems better. Only thing better is that there's more room for 4x hard drives so more storage. my cpu is better and got double the ram. Still need to think about it tongue.png thanks though. If I can find it and order it here. I may consider it smile.png

and don't official servers make alot of noise? if it's going to be in the same room as I sleep? It's very nice size though smaller then the asus barebone I found biggrin.png

possibly, although reports I've heard is that it's quieter than most.

I've fitted fans and heat-dispensing kit from QuietPC to reduce my server noise. It still hums along (mainly the HDs) but it's a low-level hum from 120mm fans rotating more slowly.

I found it in a dutch online store Although on the origine site you linked there's a better overview of the specs :)

I looked at it again and I may buy it. But I would add these two components:

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Geheugen_DDR3_ECC/Kingston_ValueRAM/4_GB_ECC_DDR3-1333/530283/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Geheugen&l2=DDR3&l3=ECC

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Netwerk_PCI_Express/TP-LINK/TG-3468/312784/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Netwerk&l2=Netwerkadapters

I would put in two of these http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Harddisks_3,5_inch_SATA/Seagate/ST2000DL003/495331/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Harddisks&l2=Serial-ATA&l3=3%2C5+inch

Although I can't figure out from the specs if there's room for a dvd drive?. Cuz I don't really want to install linux from a usb drive

And Would it have enough power to run if I had four harddrives, another network card and a dvddrive(if needed)

And the last think I need to figure out if that processor supports virtualization for when running kvm.

I've given it some thought and I've decided to go for the backbone. Cuz of a better processor so I know for sure that my processor will be supported for virtualization in kvm. It's a bit bigger than the micro-server but that won't matter too much. The barebon has 4 3.5 in slots and the barebone has two. So the micro-server has more storage capacity. But I don't think I would even download 8TB of data. So if I bought 2x3TB or 2x2TB for the barebone that would be more then enough for me. And I've looked at a full size server but I don't want another desktop so the barebone is perfect size and what I want with it :)

Cuz I don't really want to install linux from a usb drive

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It's how I do my installs - I use a pen to boot a kernel, then do the remainder over the internet. Takes a bit longer than spooling from DVD, but given that most installs consist of a "yum install" (or apt-get install) of several packages, I don't bother with DVDs now.

This isn't trying to put you off a DVD drive, just that if you;re looking to drop one in solely for an install then it;'d be a slight waste.

Cuz I don't really want to install linux from a usb drive

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It's how I do my installs - I use a pen to boot a kernel, then do the remainder over the internet. Takes a bit longer than spooling from DVD, but given that most installs consist of a "yum install" (or apt-get install) of several packages, I don't bother with DVDs now.

This isn't trying to put you off a DVD drive, just that if you;re looking to drop one in solely for an install then it;'d be a slight waste.

Yeah that's true :) I'll have a look into it as in how to do it with SL