inittux

Convert CentOS6 to SL6

I was searching around with my favorite search engine not even something I was looking for but accidently came across it.

So I I tried it out to convert my CentOS6 server to SL6 and it worked biggrin.png Here's the guide/article

Linux SL-Project 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 6 19:24:09 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• Like 36

My goodness, that does look easy. And indeed, quite elegant, considering what it's doing. :P If the CentOS 6 project still feels like it has this aura of abandonment hanging over it, I might really have to consider this. I perhaps shall have to give this a try in a test environment and see if it works for me!

Thanks for pointing this out. :)

• Like 4

My goodness, that does look easy. And indeed, quite elegant, considering what it's doing. tongue.png If the CentOS 6 project still feels like it has this aura of abandonment hanging over it, I might really have to consider this. I perhaps shall have to give this a try in a test environment and see if it works for me!

Thanks for pointing this out. smile.png

No problem smile.png It also saves me a custom install from my hosting provider which would be 100 euros. Now I can just install CentOS and convert it to SL biggrin.png

This is my home pc Desktop SL: Linux feedmebits.localdomain 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 5 17:19:54 CDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux\

This is after converting my CentOS6 to SL6: Linux SL-Project 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 6 19:24:09 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Only difference I can see is the CDT and BST donno what that stands for?

• Like 4

Those codes are referring to the timezone -- CDT is 'Central Daylight Time' for North America, and now it's set to BST, 'British Summer Time'. You might want to double-check which timezone you're expecting that machine to have!

• Like 2

Those codes are referring to the timezone -- CDT is 'Central Daylight Time' for North America, and now it's set to BST, 'British Summer Time'. You might want to double-check which timezone you're expecting that machine to have!

LOL seems my server has the right time zone and my own desktop doesn't haha

• Like 1

Should you not be in Central European Time and not BST, even on the server? They might both be UTC+1, but if they're not set correctly for your location, you might find them automatically switching timezone (from BST back to GMT or something) at the wrong time for your country!

• Like 1

Should you not be in Central European Time and not BST, even on the server? They might both be UTC+1, but if they're not set correctly for your location, you might find them automatically switching timezone (from BST back to GMT or something) at the wrong time for your country!

I set my server to TZ Amsterdam and I never pay attention to the TZ on my Desktop cuz I just set the time right :P

• Like 1

[root@SL-Project ~]# yum update

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror

Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

* sl: ftp.scientificlinux.org

* sl-security: ftp.scientificlinux.org

Setting up Update Process

No Packages marked for Update

• Like 1