Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nVidia drivers with Fedora Core 2

Here's a nice guide to how you can install nVidia drivers with FC2...

[/url][url=http://theswagertys.com/kernel.html]http://theswagertys.com/kernel.html

Using nVidia drivers with Fedora Core 2

For whatever odd reason, the Fedora tean chose CONFIG_REGPARM=y and CONFIG_4KSTACKS=y with the default RH kernel, which by the way is not compatible with Nvidia drivers. So the solution is to:

1. Get the 2.6.6 kernel from www.kernel.org

2. Use the tar -jxvf linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 ( or whatever version you got) to the directory of your choice. I use /usr/src/. This should leave you with a linux-2.6.6 directory or something like it.

3. cd into the directory and run a 'make oldconfig' or if you feel comfortable 'make menuconfig', 'make gconfig.'

4. Answer no to the questions or just press enter.

5. You'll then need to run as root:

'make' (preferably not as root) 'make modules_install' 'make install'

or do it all in one line using &&.

Put in the Beatles White Album and listen to Back in the U.S.S.R (good compiling tune)

It'll take you a while, but in the end it should get you going with the new kernel. Test it out first to make sure it works. Backup any old stuff you wouldn't want to loose in an emergency.

6. Visit nvidia's site and get the drivers for your video card.

7. Using vi or your favorite text editor, I use joe, edit your /etc/inittab. Set it your run level to 3. Save it. Reboot.

8. This should prevent you from getting into X on start-up. Chmod the nvidia package so you can execute it.

'./NVIDIA-PACKAGE'

This should build the correct modules and install the drivers.

9. rm -fr to delete the nvidia package if you want now.

10. edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and comment # out the dri module. Scroll down towards the bottom and change the driver from "nv" to "nvidia". Save it. Reboot.

11. When x starts you should see the nvidia logo.

Good Luck! :)

----------------------------------

All of the above was copied from the above link.

In case the link goes inactive I guess it'll be nice to have a local version, plus it' might be helpful for the g00glers... :)

It works by the way...

Very nice tutorial dude I am trying it out right now hoping it works hehe seems i did not have to use root as of yet... I will edit this if I have to at one point or another.

That works dude B)

thx for the tutorial