• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 feedmebits

feedmebits

Linux-Noob Senior Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

I was searching around with my favorite search engine not even something I was looking for but accidently came across it.
So I I tried it out to convert my CentOS6 server to SL6 and it worked Posted Image Here's the guide/article

Linux SL-Project 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 6 19:24:09 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • inetryconydot, BycleIlliny, and 29 others like this
"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"

#2 hybrid

hybrid

Linux-Noob Frequent Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

My goodness, that does look easy. And indeed, quite elegant, considering what it's doing. :P If the CentOS 6 project still feels like it has this aura of abandonment hanging over it, I might really have to consider this. I perhaps shall have to give this a try in a test environment and see if it works for me!

Thanks for pointing this out. :)
  • Wilfredlui, Clementppo, Ruperttln and 1 other like this
My website | Portfolio

FOSSwire -- all about free and open source software, featuring tips, tricks, tutorials, reviews, articles and all the latest news from the free software universe.

#3 feedmebits

feedmebits

Linux-Noob Senior Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

My goodness, that does look easy. And indeed, quite elegant, considering what it's doing. Posted Image If the CentOS 6 project still feels like it has this aura of abandonment hanging over it, I might really have to consider this. I perhaps shall have to give this a try in a test environment and see if it works for me!

Thanks for pointing this out. Posted Image

No problem Posted Image It also saves me a custom install from my hosting provider which would be 100 euros. Now I can just install CentOS and convert it to SL Posted Image

This is my home pc Desktop SL: Linux feedmebits.localdomain 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 5 17:19:54 CDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux\

This is after converting my CentOS6 to SL6: Linux SL-Project 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 6 19:24:09 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Only difference I can see is the CDT and BST donno what that stands for?
  • Wilfredlui, Clementppo, Ruperttln and 1 other like this

#4 hybrid

hybrid

• Admin
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

Those codes are referring to the timezone -- CDT is 'Central Daylight Time' for North America, and now it's set to BST, 'British Summer Time'. You might want to double-check which timezone you're expecting that machine to have!
  • Wilfredlui and Ruperttln like this
My website | Portfolio

FOSSwire -- all about free and open source software, featuring tips, tricks, tutorials, reviews, articles and all the latest news from the free software universe.

#5 feedmebits

feedmebits

Linux-Noob Senior Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

Those codes are referring to the timezone -- CDT is 'Central Daylight Time' for North America, and now it's set to BST, 'British Summer Time'. You might want to double-check which timezone you're expecting that machine to have!

LOL seems my server has the right time zone and my own desktop doesn't haha
  • Ruperttln likes this

#6 hybrid

hybrid

• Admin
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

Should you not be in Central European Time and not BST, even on the server? They might both be UTC+1, but if they're not set correctly for your location, you might find them automatically switching timezone (from BST back to GMT or something) at the wrong time for your country!
  • Ruperttln likes this
My website | Portfolio

#7 feedmebits

feedmebits

Linux-Noob Senior Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

Should you not be in Central European Time and not BST, even on the server? They might both be UTC+1, but if they're not set correctly for your location, you might find them automatically switching timezone (from BST back to GMT or something) at the wrong time for your country!

I set my server to TZ Amsterdam and I never pay attention to the TZ on my Desktop cuz I just set the time right :P
  • Ruperttln likes this

#8 feedmebits

feedmebits

Linux-Noob Senior Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

[root@SL-Project ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* sl: ftp.scientificlinux.org