Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30 days with PCLinuxOS

Quote:... great but imho those issues shouldn't have arisen in the first place...

Indeed, I think that basically they failed to take in account some of the dependencies of Xorg and that lead to the issues you have experienced.

Basically the trick is though to look at the end of the upgrade/update option for the line that says something like:

x packages upgraded, y newly installed, z to remove and u not upgraded.

If u isn't 0 then its time for a dist-upgrade.

day 5

ok i really don't like the fonts in PCLinuxOS, maybe it's just me or maybe it's just KDE either way i don't like them.

look at this screenshot of bash.org, don't the fonts look awful ? i think so, so I started up PCLinux's 'configure your computer' icon and selected System on the left, followed by Manage, add and remove fonts, import Windows fonts. I had a modular bay handy with windows XP sp2 on it, so I inserted it and it was automounted. I clicked on 'Get Windows Fonts' at the bottom of the tool and it complained that no mounted partitions found with fonts on it. I then manually browsed the mount (/dev/sda1) to verify that it was indeed a windows partition, and then went back to the tool, this time, it read/imported and applied the Windows fonts. AFter restarting Firefox the difference in font rendering was unreal (ie: way improved), have a look yourself.

Before:

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_01_2008/post-1-1200398111.png" data-fileid="1012">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_01_2008/post-1-1200398111.png[/img]</a>

After:

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_01_2008/post-1-1200398242.png" data-fileid="1014">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_01_2008/post-1-1200398242.png[/img]</a>

Installing Windows Codecs and Dvd playback

after some reading about PCLinuxOS I discovered that it doesnt include the windows codecs or dvd playback by default (and it doesnt include nvidia or ati hardware enabled drivers either), so I wanted to add dvd playback and the windows codecs, to do so I opened a konsole and became root then did

Code:
apt-get install libdvdcss2 win32-codecs

Installing gnome

I know there is a gnome based PCLinuxOS cd available now (after reading the docs) however as I've PCLinuxOs installed now I'd like to configure it the way I want, so that means I want to add Gnome as no matter how much I try I cannot get used to (or like using) KDE. So I follow this guide and will post back here later if it worked ok.

Ok it worked, as you can see here, I simply had to log out once synaptic was done downloading and installing and then choose gnome form the session menu.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_01_2008/post-1-1200408654.png" data-fileid="1016">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_01_2008/post-1-1200408654.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   awful_fonts.png (Size: 112 KB / Downloads: 0)
.png   fixed_fonts.png (Size: 143.2 KB / Downloads: 0)
.png   gnome.png (Size: 277.71 KB / Downloads: 0)

day 6

even though I had installed gnome yesterday, for some reason nautilus wasn't included, I only noticed that today when I tried to view a ntfs drive and then it dawned on me that there were also no icons on the desktop,

as root

Code:
apt-get install nautilus

resolved that

I tried to play a dvd today to test the libdvdcss and sure enough, it worked, straight away, no fuss, no errors, no problems at all. Nice.

Day 7

Want to hear something weird ? well since i've started using PCLinuxOS I've noticed something strange happening with my Smoothwall 3 firewall, namely it has rebooted itself 5 or so times in the last few days for no apparent reason,

no apparent reason that is until I noticed that the reboot occurred at the very same time that I attempted to view a video on bbc news website, no kidding.

I would click on a video link on the bbc news website in firefox and it would open the mplayer plugin window, all fine, it would eventually say 'mplayer connected' but no video, and at that point i'd loose all network connectvity and glancing over my shoulder I could see that the firewall (smoothwall 3) had kernel panicked.

What ???

yup, kernel panicked, which then caused it to reboot and once it had finished rebooting I had network activity restored,

to verify this i opened a cli and did the following

Code:
mplayer http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/world/video/145000/bb/145431_16x9_bb.asx?ad=1

as soon as I press enter on this PCLinuxOS machine, my Smoothwall 3 firewall kernel panicks,

can anyone please tell me what is going on here ? I do have access to other machines running windows xp/vista and fedora which I can test the same link on to verify this....

ok i tried the same link (using IE7) with xpsp2 and the smoothwall didnt kernel panic, so is this some bizarre pclinuxOs bug ?

back to the PCLinuxOS machine, if i wget the http:// link it works, no kernel panic

so I will test once more by using mplayer,

very odd, now I cannot duplicate the issue again, perhaps smoothwall needs to have been running for a certain amount of time first... I have no idea

but here's the output from cli in PCLOS

Quote:[anyweb@np0013722cba3d ~]$ mplayer http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/worl...6x9_bb.asx?ad=1MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.1.1 © 2000-2007 MPlayer Team

CPU: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1200MHz (Family: 6, Model: 9, Stepping: 5)

CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1

Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

mplayer: could not connect to socket

mplayer: No such file or directory

Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/worl...6x9_bb.asx?ad=1.

Resolving news.bbc.co.uk for AF_INET6...

Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: news.bbc.co.uk

Resolving news.bbc.co.uk for AF_INET...

Connecting to server news.bbc.co.uk[212.58.226.75]: 80...

STREAM_ASF, URL: http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/worl...6x9_bb.asx?ad=1

size_confirm mismatch!: 22611 28271

Error while parsing chunk header

Failed, exiting.

Cache size set to 320 KBytes

Cache fill: 0.25% (810 bytes)

Exiting... (End of file)

[anyweb@np0013722cba3d ~]$