Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot problem with a USB device connected

Hi all

First of all, let me congrats the admins for a great forum!

Now for the case...

When I boot my Ubuntu on my Asus A6000 A6km laptop with a USB device connected (my mouse is USB connected), the OS freezes at "Starting up ...". Ok.. when I disconnect my mouse, the booting is ok, and everything is ready to go. Then I can connect my mouse when the login screen is showing.

Any ideas for what this can be? Is is possible to see what is going on during the boot? I used Mandriva before, and I could see if anything was "OK" or "Failed".

Thanks

To get right of the "boot splash" (which is the proper term for the Ubuntu loading screen) you can do this:

http://www.foogazi.com/2007/10/27/remove-t...-splash-screen/

I'm going to fire a guess and say its related to hotplug but we will see. Tell us where its sticking maybe it can help us diagnose it.

Quote:To get right of the "boot splash" (which is the proper term for the Ubuntu loading screen) you can do this:http://www.foogazi.com/2007/10/27/remove-t...-splash-screen/

I'm going to fire a guess and say its related to hotplug but we will see. Tell us where its sticking maybe it can help us diagnose it.

It freezes right before the splash loading screen. (You see the text "Starting up ...")

Um, so it doesn't even begin to load the kernel? If thats true then its possibly a BIOS thing. Try investigating any USB BIOS settings particularly power.
I checked my BIOS. Cant seem to find the problem there either... I even tried to disable the USB booting

are you sure you've got the latest bios for your laptop ? if not please update it.

and, if the problem remains please update your kernel to the latest version

cheers

anyweb

My feeling is that if it hasn't reached booting the kernel, that we need to say its BIOS. However I would attempt a kernel upgrade before you begin to fiddle with BIOS upgrades. Another possibility is to disable all the Power Management stuff (ACPI / APM) in both BIOS and kernel. They can sometimes disrupt the boot process.
I have the latest version of the kernel, but there are new BIOS versions. I'll update my BIOS pretty soon, and I'll let you guys know the status after an update. And yes, this issue is right before the kernel starts

Hi JayDee

Let me know if you solved this problem! As it is a SHAME that we can't run Linux Distros comfortably I've tried loads of Distros and they all fail at the same place.... I was told that on SourceForge there is some modded Bios for the A6KM. Please also note that i contacted ASUS in this regard but they never bothered to reply. And when they replied I can just tell you that they gave me a stupid answer. I had the same problem when i told them if there are any 64-bit drivers for Winxp 64 and they told me that there are no drivers whatosoever and won't be. So why bother releasing a 64 bit laptop with no support?

Just like you and me there are loads of frustrated users.

Thanks

Alcatraz

ok, guess what... It's not only Ubuntu that has problem booting on my laptop. Mandriva too.

I think there's something in my bios that causes the problem. I've updated it to the newest version, but no help

Quote:problemLinux hangs on startup when USB devices are attached to the laptop.

info

This is a bug in the BIOS, causing a problem with ACPI (the power savings programme) that has crept in after version 2.02 and never has been removed.

solution

Add acpi=off in the file /boot/grub/grub.conf, at the end of the line containing kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-49.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet (or something similar)