Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob: Offline Install of WMP54G

I looked through my terminal and saw this error:

***Warning***

This file contains new version4 firmware. v4 firmware is not supported by the driver in mainline kernels. For v4 Firmware you need latest bcm43xx development version. If you don't know what this warning is about, use a 3.xx.xx.xx driver version instead to extract the firmware.

Not sure what that is all about. Ive downloaded exactly what you have instructed me to download.

I think the problem is the fact that its thinking this is a ethernet card, when this is to connect to a wireless network.

I have installed the drivers for this card. when i go to set up the card, i can only get the card to show up under ethernet, not wireless.

What do i do?

is there any chance you could connect up your box via a wired connection and then i could ssh in and see if i could resolve the problem ?

cheers

anyweb

Quote:is there any chance you could connect up your box via a wired connection and then i could ssh in and see if i could resolve the problem ? 

cheers

anyweb

I used to have a ? 30 foot ? Cat5 Cable, but somewhere along the years of having wireless it vanished.

So, If i really had to, i would have to move everything over into my parents room, where the modem is, and connect it through there.

Which i will probably do. When are you available? I live in California, USA, so obviously we need to find a time we are both on.

Ive added you to MSN messenger, trying to get you to remote connect, so hopefully you get online before i have to disassemble my computer from this room.

I think my problem was i had it set to get a IP with DHCP. My wired connection didnt work till i put it on BootI or what ever.

So, now my problem is getting the drivers for the wireless card to show up again, and maybe i could try to see if that one option was all i needed to change.

If you arent on when i am, maybe you can just inform me on how to have the Broadcom 4306 driver to show up again in the list for ethernet devices.

Other than that, im thinking you are gonna have to do it lol. Im lost when it comes to Linux.

I was hoping by installing it i would force myself to learn it. Well, i know a few commands now...