Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
formatting
i have fedora but i want to go back to xp, but when i put in the windows boot disk it won't load , im thinking because of the format, but how do i reformat my hardrive then, when i can't use the windows disk

Your windows disk should load regardless of whats on the hard drive, so long as the computer's setup right.

First check that in the BIOS your computer is set to boot from CD drive before all other devices

Also make sure that your windows disk hasn't broke, or got any scratches. If it works on another machine then it could possibly be your CD drive, although I'd try another disk first.

Lee :)

Quote:i have fedora but i want to go back to xp, but when i put in the windows boot disk it won't load , im thinking because of the format, but how do i reformat my hardrive then, when i can't use the windows disk

Is this a Windows CD or a hard drive with Windows installed on it?

If it is the former then Lee's excellent advice should help you boot it. :)Just reinstall Windows as you would normally.

If it is a hard drive with Windows already installed on it, then you can set it to boot by booting off the Windows CD, entering Recovery mode instead of install (press R at the prompt) and typing fixmbr at the prompt and pressing Enter. That should make Windows boot off the drive again.

I'm guessing you're referring to the CD, but I thought I'd post this anyway.

Well windows can't reconize and respect other oses like others can. now that is out of the way this is what you have to do. Get a dos disk that has fdisk. if you don't have a dos disk laying around you can get one at [/url][url=http://www.freedos.org/]http://www.freedos.org/ . Run fdisk /mbr then run fdisk agan and delete all non-dos partitions then create a large fat32 one. then you should be able to Install windows. Whats happening is that windows can't understand the grub bootloader and the ext3 partitions. once you remove them you can install windows xp again.