Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
n00b here, need some help

a friend of mine has been bugging me to join the Linux community so he gave me a link to a Live cd version with a Beryl distro. Well i liked it very much so i want to explore it more. However, i want to make my system a dual boot cuz i will probably still need windows. I am downloading the open source for Suse now because i hear thats an easy one to start off with. However, where im going to have trouble is how to make a patrician to make a dual boot system. I was gonna try Fedora but i read on their page it cant be partitioned on a drive with windows useing NTFS

some things to note:

My drive is formated for NTFS

i have a 64 bit processor and thats the version im downloading

well any help would be wonderful...thanks

fedora will handle dual boot just fine, as will opensuse,

before installing linux do this, use a partition manager like 'partition magic 8' to create a BLANK unformatted 10gb minimum partition on your hard disc,

once done, you boot from your linux cd/dvd and install onto THAT partition, let the linux installer completely re-partition THAT partition and let the linux installer install GRUB to manage DUAL BOOT between windows xp and linux.

good luck !

cheers

anyweb

Quote:fedora will handle dual boot just fine, as will opensuse, 

before installing linux do this, use a partition manager like 'partition magic 8' to create a BLANK unformatted 10gb minimum partition on your hard disc,

once done, you boot from your linux cd/dvd and install onto THAT partition, let the linux installer completely re-partition THAT partition and let the linux installer install GRUB to manage DUAL BOOT between windows xp and linux.

good luck !

cheers

anyweb

thank your very much. I will try this.