Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not really a how do I... Valid Password
I'm just wondering which characters are usable to build a strong root/user password for my suse box, besides the obvious [a-Z0-9] I know I can use $... which one else can I use?

Quote:I'm just wondering which characters are usable to build a strong root/user password for my suse box, besides the obvious [a-Z0-9] I know I can use $... which one else can I use?

You can use next near any character, avoid using # or @ as these are traditional erase and kill. Normally once you were logged in kill became Ctrl+c and erase became the backspace (there are ways around this restriction but it isn't worth it).

Therefore you can use a-z A-Z 0-9 all the punc. marks (. , etc etc).

Personally I use the method of using a phrase .. like "twinkle twinkle little star" which becomes "ttls" then something like count the number of occurances of the first letter (t) which is 3 therefore I would use

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="9961" data-ipsquote-username="rantsh" data-cite="rantsh" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2730" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm just wondering which characters are usable to build a strong root/user password for my suse box, besides the obvious [a-Z0-9] I know I can use $... which one else can I use?

You can use next near any character, avoid using # or @ as these are traditional erase and kill. Normally once you were logged in kill became Ctrl+c and erase became the backspace (there are ways around this restriction but it isn't worth it).

Therefore you can use a-z A-Z 0-9 all the punc. marks (. , etc etc).

Personally I use the method of using a phrase .. like "twinkle twinkle little star" which becomes "ttls" then something like count the number of occurances of the first letter (t) which is 3 therefore I would use

</div></blockquote>

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2730" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>omdhafeieioaotfhhaceieio

guess the hit song ?

cheers

anyweb

</div></blockquote>

Altogether now!

Old Mcdonald had a farm, eieioo And on that farm he had a cow..

well done you got it !