Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing Firefox 2.0

Ok, so I downloaded firefox2.0 and now I can't install it. I'm a total n00b to the entire linux world so bear with me here. I was able to download and install the flash and java plugins for firefox 1.5 due to detailed installation instructions, but all I get from the firefox site with regards to installing 2.0 is:

Quote:Installing Firefox 2 

Please note that installing Firefox 2 will overwrite your existing installation of Firefox. You won't lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available.

Yeah. As one can see, it doesn't exactly state how to go about it for us hopelessly new users. Any help would be appreciated.

Next problem, didn't want to go create another topic while I still got this one, is that I can't get my sound to work. I get this error message everytime I log on.

Quote:Sound server informational message:Error while initializing the sound driver:

device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

My wireless also doesn't work.

Assistance again please!

P.S. I'm using an HP Pavillion dv6110us, dual booting between Windows Media Center & Fox Desktop 1 lite.

Specs for laptop are:

Processor

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50; 1.6GHz

Memory

1024MB DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics card

NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 with up to 128MB (shared)

Hard drive

100GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

Primary CD/DVD drive

Super Multi DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display

15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280x800) Display

Wireless connectivity

802.11b/g wireless LAN

External ports

2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 1 Headphone out, 1 microphone-in, 1 notebook expansion port 3, 1 Consumer IR

Communications

Integrated 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN

Sound

Internal Altec Lansing speakers

THANKS!!

Check out this topic on Firefox 2 installation I helped out with a few days ago:

[/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php...post&p=9860][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php...post&p=9860]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php...post&p=9860

If those steps don't work, then let me know and I'll try and help you further!

Quote:Check out this topic on Firefox 2 installation I helped out with a few days ago: 

[/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php...post&p=9860][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php...post&p=9860]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php...post&p=9860

If those steps don't work, then let me know and I'll try and help you further!

Tried it but it didn't work. :( I even tried using the console to make the firefox file an executable but that didnt work either. It keeps referring to it as a shell script. Any other ideas?

have a look at this firefox 2 post

maybe it'll help you, if not paste any errors you get here

cheers

anyweb

Quote:have a look at this firefox 2 post 

maybe it'll help you, if not paste any errors you get here

cheers

anyweb

It didn't work. I ended up downloading and installing Fox Desktop Professional (had Lite before) and trying the instructions again, Firefox 2 seems to be working fine now. I currently have both 1.5 and 2.0 installed (not sure why I want to keep em both) and they both work fine.

the reason you have both installed is because you havnt removed firefox 1.5

to do so log in as root and do this

Code:
yum remove firefox

once done, you will only have firefox 2.0 installed

Fedora Core only releases security patches for it's installed products, it does not do 'product updates' to products, so that is why firefox 1.5 (as shipped with Fedora Core Release 6) doesn't get updated to firefox 2.

cheers

anyweb

Did you say you had wireless internet problems? Well..GIVE UP! I had too..it never worked.

But if you just don't want to look up MADWIFI i never got it to work but maybe you could. :)

"Live long and prosper"

-MR. Spock