Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get virtualbox to use usb
I have USB enabled in VB and VB detects my flash drive but whenever I plug my flash drive in, windows 7 doesn't see it.
Do you mean you have virtualbox installed under linux(distro?) and in the virtualbox configuration options you see the USB device. Then when creating a vm and install windows 7 on it and then plugging in the usb device you aren't able to see it in windows 7 vm? I don't have access to virtualbox right now but I'll try it out later so I can see if it works for me and if not figure out how to get it to work.

Quote:Do you mean you have virtualbox installed under linux(distro?) and in the virtualbox configuration options you see the USB device. Then when creating a vm and install windows 7 on it and then plugging in the usb device you aren't able to see it in windows 7 vm? I don't have access to virtualbox right now but I'll try it out later so I can see if it works for me and if not figure out how to get it to work.
Yeah I have VB installed under Ubuntu, and I know VB detects my flash drive because if I right click on the usb icon in the bottom right corner of VB it shows my flash drive (when I am running the virtual operating system and it isn't in full screen). and I did install windows 7 using VB.

Have you installed the VirtualBox Extension Pack? In order for the USB 2.0 support within guest operating systems to work, you have to install the Extension Pack (which unfortunately is not open source and is subject to a different licence).

You can download the pack from the VirtualBox downloads page (called <strong>VirtualBox 4.1.14 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack</strong>). Once downloaded, you just double-click the downloaded file to install it.

Once the pack is installed, try connecting the USB device to the VM again, as you were.

Let us know how you get on!