Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows disks under SUSE 10.1

Hi all.

I'm fairly new to this, so would appreciate any advice or help that anyone has to offer.

Right, my setup is as follows...

I'm running a dual-boot setup, with windows on a SATA raid array (Nvidia motherboard controller), and SUSE 10.1 on a SCSI disc (Adaptec PCI card controller), plus an IDE disk in NTFS that windows uses as an extra storage/scratch disk. On the other channel of the MOBO's IDE controller are a DVD drive and a CD rewriter.

And my problem are these...

part 1.

I can't access either windows disk, from root, or as a standard user. I can see them in both, but I'm always told that I don't have permission.

part 2.

When I use GNOME, the cd drives automount. When I use KDE not only does neither drive automount, I can't even do it manually! CD in drive, check. Lights on front of drive, and wires in the back, check. Hippy types the magic words into the superuser console, superuser console gives Hippy the finger, laughing as it does so.

part 3.

Not really as major as the 1st two, but when I try to start Firefox as a normal user, the eggtimer icon and the loading bar appear in the bottom panel, as if all were normal and firefox were about to start. It is, as it turns out, a lie. When the eggtimer dissappears, so does the bar from the bottom panel. Nothing further happens. Runs fine as root, just not as a normal user.

I've had a look in previous posts on here and searched for the answers out in the ether, but have just confused myself.

Thanks for any help that's forthcoming.

hi and welcome to the forums

as to your problems, see below

1. try looking at this post [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=16][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=16]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16 or create a blank fat32 partition on your windows box and linux will read it with no issues once it's mounted, for more info see here > [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=15][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=15]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15

2. can you please paste what you are typing as superuser and the corresponding errors, are you sure there isnt any CD icon on the desktop when you insert one ?

3. open a terminal (console) and start firefox from the command line as a normal user, paste the results of that here

cheers

anyweb

Anyweb. Thanks for your advice. Here goes...

1. I followed your advice, and searched the NTFS site that you reccomended, but I found no mention of SUSE specifically, or of the kernel version of my setup - 2.6.16.13-4. Any thoughts?

2. the DVD and CD drive are listed as hda and hdb respectively, they are always visible in the /dev folder, and both drives automount and appear on the desktop in GNOME, yet do neither in KDE, and indeed deny me access if I click on them in /dev, or if I go through the terminal. To do it the terminal way (bare with me, as I did this quite late at night, so don't remember every last detail), I first used "dmesg -more" to find the exact location of the drives. I then used the mount command, which then told me that "There is no such folder as /cdrom". I then created "/cdrom", and tried again. No joy. Conclusion:- I have machine-elves that are mictorating on my motherboard.

I only have this problem under KDE (My gui of choice, unfortunately). I'm using GNOME as I write this, and listening to music as I do so with no problems at all.

3. as I'm writing this on firefox, in GNOME, I'll have to get back to you with the results of the starting it via the commandline under KDE

Thanks again.

try this post [/url][url=http://forums.devshed.com/linux-help-33/pr...-1t-372684.html]http://forums.devshed.com/linux-help-33/pr...-1t-372684.html for your ntfs mounting problem, sounds very similar

any update on the other probs ?

cheers

anyweb