Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
monitor troubles on my laptop
Hi I'm definitly a noob at this linux stuff started yesterday I installed suse 10 on my laptop but after it boots up the screen is all messed up I can't see a thing please halp

hi welcome to the forums, what laptop is it and what video card/lcd screen does it have ?

cheers

anyweb

Quote:hi welcome to the forums, what laptop is it and what video card/lcd screen does it have ? 

cheers

anyweb

Hi it is a toshiba satellite L25-s121 it has a tft active-matrix lcd @1024x768 (xga)and the video card is a ATI radeon x200m 32mb-128mb thanks!

This sounds like your Xorg hasn't setup correctly. Unfortunately it will mean some use of the console to get it working. Once it is all loaded (look at your hard disk light in a bid to guess when its complete). Then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 .. all at the same time.

You should find yourself at a console. You can then login to the console to attempt to repair the Xorg installation. Startup Yast and then go to the graphics and attempt to choose some sensible settings. Maybe even choose really basic settings like VGA .. just to get it working. Save that and then reboot the system and hope that its worked.

Quote:This sounds like your Xorg hasn't setup correctly. Unfortunately it will mean some use of the console to get it working. Once it is all loaded (look at your hard disk light in a bid to guess when its complete). Then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 .. all at the same time. 

You should find yourself at a console. You can then login to the console to attempt to repair the Xorg installation. Startup Yast and then go to the graphics and attempt to choose some sensible settings. Maybe even choose really basic settings like VGA .. just to get it working. Save that and then reboot the system and hope that its worked.

I tried that after you suggested it and when i try to go to the graphics it went to the scrambled screen as if it were done booting and i couldn't go any further.