Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me choose my distro for a multi server

I recently got an old PC for free (not too bad though, 1.2ghz amd 40gb hd and a decent video card, but thats not the point) It currently runs windows me but I think that linux could do better (I tried DSL on it and it was much much faster). Here is what I want to do. I want to have it be a fileserver (for some extra storage on my ibook) and ftp server (for downloads from either a direct connection to the ftp or from links from my...) webserver with PHP to really show off some new design ideals I have bouncing around in my head. Windows me is working OK as a fileserver and ftp server but the copy of windows is pretty screwed up (person randomly deleated some things and a microsoft update screwed it up even more, although it still boots and runs fine) and I get a error message when trying to install apache (If I cared I could fix the problem or reinstall me but I don't care)

So now what I want to know is which distro would be best to do these things, and can I get it to share the disks (like my ME currently is doing). Also, when can I get some complete noob help (I coudlent figure out how to get Samba to work)

Also, what software do you suggest to maintain the system and possible allow me to controll it from my mac so I don't have to hook it up to a monitor anymore.

fedora core release 5 will do all that you have listed and more,

you can use VNC over SSH to remotely control the box as well, there's howto's on the forums here telling you how to do that

cheers

anyweb

Quote:fedora core release 5 will do all that you have listed and more, 

you can use VNC over SSH to remotely control the box as well, there's howto's on the forums here telling you how to do that

cheers

anyweb

thanks I'll check fedora core 5 out, hopefully I can find a live cd

ok I have a small issue, I don't want to remove windows from the HDD before I have linux up and running and working, then I'll make a backup (just in case I ever see a reason to return to windows) and then I'll reformat the HD, repartition it (I'm thinking 1 10GB for system and webserver, one 30 for file and FTP server). Can I get fedora 5 installed side by side with windows on he same partition? Can install it on the small second partition (it has 1.02gb left) or should I just backup windows from windows and then clean sweep it all.

Also, what type of fileserver transfer speed can I expect from linux and with what software, on ME is took 1hr to transfer 2.99GB (the 5 fedora install CDs) and I'm kinda hoping for something a little better (make a half an hour)

Because I don't know what to do I'll simply verify my fedora install CDs for now.

Oh, and what filesystem should I use so that I have complete compatiblity with my mac, I know that windoes won't let me use a "/" in a filename and I get errors about incompatible filenames when transfering programs (I belvie it's the icon file most of the time), just want to know for when I reformatt.