Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invision Board 2.1.5

Is anybody here willing to help me how to install and run Invision Power Board on my Linux server from home?

I currently use Ubuntu as Linux distro.

I have 850Mhz PIII, 380mb of SDRAM and 18gig SCSI drive.

If I need to do some special Linux installation from the scratch I am ready to do that as well.

Thanks

first of all you need to setup php, apache and mysql

i'd recommend reading the advanced howto right here on linux-noob.com here [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=611][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=611]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=611

once you have that working, then installing IPB is a piece of cake (read the installation DOCs that come with it)

cheers

anyweb

Should point out the IPB actually costs some money its not free. So you will need to pay for it before you can install it.

Worth it though .. look at us after all :P

I have a webserver that only let me create a single database and i already use it to install joomla. :(

Cant add any more DB to my website. [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif[/img]

host your own like me !

that way you can create any amount of DB's :)

cheers

anyweb

I have 5 IPB licences, legal ones.

How much of monthly transfer do you have? Also on what type of connection do you host this site?

I have cable internet with following caracteristics:

Upload - Up to 640 Kbps

Download - Up to 7 Mbps

Transfer - 15 GB combined

Will this be OK with board that have around 1000 members? Max was 138 members active at the same time.

One more thing, I do not have static IP but it does not change often. Is there a way to host site with dynamic IP?

your upload speed is your problem

i'm hosting this site on a 1mb upload speed line, (24mbit download) and it works 'ok' as long as the site isnt osnews'd or slashdotted or digged

then, it crawls a bit ;-)

so if you are not on any major news sites you should be ok :-)

cheers

anyweb

Quote:Cant add any more DB to my website. [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif[/img]

Actually, as long as Joomla and IPB don't have tables of the same name, you can successfully use both from ONE database :)Look into the names of the tables in there .. and into the ones that IPB uses, as long as say "users" doesn't turn up in both you should be OK. Even then you can sometimes tell the software to add a prefix to the tables (I know for sure that Joomla can), then you can have all the "joomla_*" tables and they will not cross.

Quote:One more thing, I do not have static IP but it does not change often. Is there a way to host site with dynamic IP?

Well you could use someone like No IP or DynDNS both of which are free services.

You end up with a name like user.no-ip.org .. for instance.

This is the best connection that I can get:

Quote:DSL 6.0Mbps modem*Maximum upload for all the following plan is 800kbps

*Multiple user environment (DSL set up is waived)

*10 emails

*1 Static IP

* Modem rental (GVC Gnet or Alcatel)

*20 hours of dial up access

*Unlimited data transfer

*Anti Spam/ Virus Protection

*24x7 priority Tech support

*Web mail Access

*GAS provisioned connection*$89.95/month

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2258" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>

Is this connection enought?

Here is specifications of my forum:

Max 50 users at the same time. We share PDF files that are around 10mb each. At the same time maximum 6 users upload & download files.

Can this connection handle this?
</div></blockquote>

OK I installed everything and the only thing that is not working it PHP MAIL.

I installed SENDMAIL and set sendmail_path = /location.. in global php.ini

anywab what else do I need to be able to use sendmail?