Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
changed distros now getting Grub error 17
I am seriously hoping that someone here can help me or point me in the right direction. I am trying to dual boot Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP. I had no problems with installation but on reboot I keep getting Grub Loading Stage1.5. Loading, Please wait... Error 17. Then it just hangs. Here is my hardware setup: I have Windows XP installed on HDA with a NTFS filesystem. HDA is a 30GB HD. HDB is a 120GB HD with 3 partitions. hdb1 is a NTFS partition. Fedora setup hdb2 as Linux and hdb3 as Linux LVM. I edited grub.conf and changed root from root (hd1,1) to root (hd1,2) but that did not change anything. I then proceeded to change root in grub.conf to a number of different values but all met with the same fate. Here are all the other values of root that I tried in grub.conf... (hd1,0) , (hd1,1), (hd1,2), (hd1,3). I tried grub-install /dev/hda but get a error saying "/dev/hdb2 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive." I don't know what else to try. I can't boot anything, so I am seriously hoping that someone will be able to help me. Thanks in advance for all your trouble.

Quote:I am seriously hoping that someone here can help me or point me in the right direction. I am trying to dual boot Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP. I had no problems with installation but on reboot I keep getting Grub Loading Stage1.5. Loading, Please wait... Error 17. Then it just hangs. Here is my hardware setup: I have Windows XP installed on HDA with a NTFS filesystem. HDA is a 30GB HD. HDB is a 120GB HD with 3 partitions. hdb1 is a NTFS partition. Fedora setup hdb2 as Linux and hdb3 as Linux LVM. I edited grub.conf and changed root from root (hd1,1) to root (hd1,2) but that did not change anything. I then proceeded to change root in grub.conf to a number of different values but all met with the same fate. Here are all the other values of root that I tried in grub.conf... (hd1,0) , (hd1,1), (hd1,2), (hd1,3). I tried grub-install /dev/hda but get a error saying "/dev/hdb2 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive." I don't know what else to try. I can't boot anything, so I am seriously hoping that someone will be able to help me. Thanks in advance for all your trouble.

Ok, this is actually quite a common issue (Error 17!) and it is due to the fact that you spot .. root() isn't set correctly.

After you change the root.. you do actually then need to reinstall the grub settings .. so that it now knows the changes.

So:

Code:
# grub
grub> root (hd1,1)
grub> setup (hd0)

hd1,1 = hdb2

hd0 = hda .. which is the master boot record.

That should do it.

You should ensure that /boot/grub/device.map contains an entry for the second disk.. for instant this is mine:

Code:
# cat /boot/grub/device.map
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/hda
(hd1)   /dev/hdb

Hello!

I have a PC with two drives. On my first drive is running Windows XP, on my second I installed SuSE 10.0.

Yesterday I installed Fedora Core 6 on my second HDD. The last two weeks there was running SuSE 10.0 on it without problems. After installing FC6, I get a GRUB Error 17.

I followed your help, but the problem is still there.

My device.map looks as following:

Code:
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/hda
(hd1)   /dev/hdc

fd0 ~> ??

hd0 ~> Windows XP HDD

hd1 ~> Fedora Core HDD (installed yesterday)

When I enter:

Code:
# grub
grub> root (hd1,1)

I get the following Error-Message:

Code:
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x08e

Code:
[root@localhost /]# grub-install --recheck hd0
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/hda
(hd1)   /dev/hdc

I do not know, what to do :(

Please attend, that I am a complete Linux noob :(

Help and thank you!

Daniel

o_O Ok, this is strange! o_O

Now it works fine! Please do not ask me why. I do not know [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_wacko.png[/img]

fd0 is the floppy drive :)glad its working although would have been nice to know the how! hehe :)

I have a dual boot with Windows XP on one single hard-drive. I have just updated Fedora 8 to 9 and my problem is similar to this:

Quote:Ok, this is actually quite a common issue (Error 17!) and it is due to the fact that you spot .. root() isn't set correctly. 

After you change the root.. you do actually then need to reinstall the grub settings .. so that it now knows the changes.

So:

Code:
# grub
grub> root (hd1,1)
grub> setup (hd0)

<div>

</div>

However, I am a few steps behind: I do not know what device to enter after root (?,?) -- how do I determine that?

Quote:I have a dual boot with Windows XP on one single hard-drive. I have just updated Fedora 8 to 9 and my problem is similar to this: *snip* 

However, I am a few steps behind: I do not know what device to enter after root (?,?) -- how do I determine that?

The root line determines which physical disk and which partition to use.

The first number after hd is the physical disk number (starting with 0) and the second is the partition number.

If you have only one disk, the first number will almost certainly be 0. The second number depends which partition you want.

The first primary partition will be 0, second primary 1 etc. Logical drives are numbered from 4 (first logical drive).

Quote:The second number depends which partition you want.
For that second number, how do I determine which partition I should be using?

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="12473" data-ipsquote-username="hybrid" data-cite="hybrid" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2242" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The second number depends which partition you want.
For that second number, how do I determine which partition I should be using?

</div></blockquote>

Which partition is your Linux install on, which partition do you want to point to?

If it helps, you can screenshot something like Gparted to show which partition you mean.

Quote:Which partition is your Linux install on, which partition do you want to point to?
Hmm.... well, you see..... that is what I do not know.  

Quote:If it helps, you can screenshot something like Gparted to show which partition you mean.
Good idea!  

Here they are: [Image: gparted1.jpg]

[Image: gparted2.jpg]

[Image: gparted3.jpg]

[Image: gparted4.jpg]