Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
npviewer.bin making my computer slow
i've always noticed npviewer.bin causing my browsing to become slow but its getting worse and worse lately, today for example the cpu usage was at 181%, i mean how can it get so high and that process is using all the bandwidt showing nothing but ad's, aside from blocking ad's is there a way to improve this at all ? i use fedora 15.

I had this issue - when I wanted to run the 32-bit flash on a 64-bit system.

Since upgrading the flash plugin to the 64-bit version, I no longer had this issue.

Looks like it wasn't just me.

that link doesn't work for me dave,

am i runnin x64 i'm not sure,

[anyweb@localhost ~]$ uname -ar

Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Mon Jan 23 15:44:18 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

"uname -a" ought to show if you're using i386, i686 or x86_64 (64-bit).

There's also some way of looking at /proc/cpuinfo, but I don't know what the actual setting is that identifies 32/64 bit (something to do with a specific flag being present).

i guess i'm 32 bit then, i've checked the flags (lm) in cat /proc/cpuinfo and they exist so the hardware is 64bit capable

am i screwed then ?

erm.. you shouldn't be.

Firstly... it may be worthwhile looking to see if you can build your OS in 64-bit (there's no upgrade path, but you could benefit from trying out a live image). 64-bit apps under a 64-bit OS on a 64-bit chip are more efficient than 32-bit apps under a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit chip.

I thought you were running a 32-bit app on a 64-bit OS, using npviewer as a wrapper.

well i think something must have changed recently i notice the 'issue' most in my hotmail, when trying to read mails there the Flash/shockwave/whatever advertisement on the right side of the page causes firefox to slow to a crawl and it becomes pratically unusable until i either kill npiviewer or lower the quality of the current ad from high to low..

very very annoying at the moment,

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_02_2012/post-1-0-85132300-1328136648.jpg" data-fileid="1341">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_02_2012/post-1-0-85132300-1328136648.jpg[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.jpg   shockwave.jpg (Size: 122.48 KB / Downloads: 175)

This isn't directly a solution for this npviewer.bin thing, but I find myself just blocking Flash and other plugins unless they're something I actually want to interact with. This might not be what you want to do, but it certainly would resolve the problem.

FlashBlock is pretty effective for this.

added it, wow what a difference, thanks a million !
Doh.. I have that plugin and use it all the time.. didn't think to suggest it!