Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loosing Network Connection
I set up a Debian box to do web/file sharing last week. I have Apache2 and Samba installed, and it's connected to my D-link router. I've been having problems with keeping it connected to the network. I'm running it headless and accessing it through SSH, but I keep loosing the connection, whether I'm connected through SSH or the web. Switching it off then back on get it to connect to the network again, and I then have full access. Obviously, I'd like to not have to do this. Any suggestions?

have a look at this post about ssh sessions timing out

cheers

anyweb

If the problem doesn't get solved by anyweb's suggestion have a look at the system logs (/var/log/messages, 'dmesg', ...) once you lose the connection. Do this directly from the console, so plug a monitor in or use a serial console! [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ph34r.png[/img] Also check the IP setup ('ifconfig'), the routes ('route -n') and the ethernet connectivity ('mii-tool' or even the LED on the NIC itself) when the problem appears.

Quote:If the problem doesn't get solved by anyweb's suggestion have a look at the system logs (/var/log/messages, 'dmesg', ...) once you lose the connection. Do this directly from the console, so plug a monitor in or use a serial console! [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ph34r.png[/img] Also check the IP setup ('ifconfig'), the routes ('route -n') and the ethernet connectivity ('mii-tool' or even the LED on the NIC itself) when the problem appears.

It's not ssh timing out. If it were just that, I could just open another shell, and my webserver would still work. I'll try these suggestions next time I loose network connectivity.