Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raafi

Hi Everyone

I am not really a newb to Linux (since Jan 05), but I registered to this forum hoping that it is basic enough for my understanding.

Since joining the Linux world, I notice there are two types of noobs. The first may be categorized as Windows-savvy guys who have just started learning Linux. They understand basically what goes on under the hood and work their way around.

The second type of noob, is like me, just an ex-windows guy who knows little about the inner workings of a computer, nothing about command lines, and pretty much used to click-n-play installations.

Since entering the world of Linux, I have learned quite a bit about my computer and Linux and I am a member of quite a few Linux forums. My problem is that many times, when going onto a Linux forum, things are usually explained in the type-1 noob jargon and keeps some people totally lost.

I no longer have Windows on my box, so I am pretty much a die-hard linux guy. I just may ask certain questions that seem retarded to many of you. Please be patient.

Hey, don't worry, the guys here are always patient. Welcome to linux-noob.com.

welcome to the forums Raafi

don't forget 24/7 IRC support on EFNET in the #linux-noob channel.

cheers

anyweb

ull get nothing but lots of good help here. i ought to know im very noobish HA

gus

welcome raafi

dont fret about questions, we answer them all as far as we can :)

Quote:welcome to the forums Raafi 

don't forget 24/7 IRC support on EFNET in the #linux-noob channel.

cheers

anyweb
thanks for all of the welcomes 

I have never used IRC, I have AIM, MSN, and YAHOO. Is IRC any different, what name do I use, how do I register? I had heard years ago, to never use IRC because it monitors your IP Address. So I have never used it, but if you guys recommend that I do it, by all means, I am all for it.

Presently, I have FC4 with GAIM, I use the Gnome Desktop, and keep it pretty much updated, except for the past week, because Yum hasnt been working properly.

My box is a HP Pavillon I bought Jan 00, just after the Y2K. It has 383 mb Ram, 550 mhz, 40 Gig HD, and all Fedora Core 4. I have tried a few other distros, but I am truly a FC fan.

i use xchat(irc) that comes with ubuntu (i also use gnome). all u do is run it pick ur name and then scroll to efnet and hit connect. once connected type /join #linux-noob and ur in !!YEAY!!

see you there,

gus

p.s. were u from?

Quote:I have never used IRC, I have AIM, MSN, and YAHOO. Is IRC any different, what name do I use, how do I register? I had heard years ago, to never use IRC because it monitors your IP Address. So I have never used it, but if you guys recommend that I do it, by all means, I am all for it.

IRC doesn't monitor your IP address, no more so than any other internet related service monitors. You can find that there is nasty websites, just like there are nasty channels, just like there are nasty people. If you run a firewall (or have a router for your connection to the internet) the chances of you being hacked or attack are less. If your ISP provides you with a dynamic IP then again its unlikely that a someone could attack you.

Some simple "rules" for saftey when using IRC:

<ol style="list-style-type:decimal;">[*]Run a firewall!

[*]Don't open ports for services unless you have secured those services!

[*]Don't IRC as "root" or any other administrive account, or from service machines.

[*]Don't give out passwords or other personal information unless you are happy for that information to be in the public domain.

[*]Don't accept DCC connections (file transfers etc).

[*]Don't type any commands that you don't understand the purpose of (/quit /server are two obvious ones)

</ol>Actually, these rules extend beyond the basic usage of IRC, all of these can in fact be applied to the usage of any service.

Now that that is out of the way...

xchat is a good client for linux

come meet us :)

Welcome Raafi! =)

Quote:i use xchat(irc) that comes with ubuntu (i also use gnome). all u do is run it pick ur name and then scroll to efnet and hit connect. once connected type /join #linux-noob and ur in !!YEAY!! see you there,

gus

p.s. were u from?
I am from Brookyn, NY, but now I live in New Jersey, USA