Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux convert needing assistance

I have made the decision to reformat my hard drive and either setup a dual boot system with WinXP and a Linux distro(Mandriva or Suse more then likely) or to just make it a Linux desktop. My questions are related to gaming. I play Everquest II and I am under the impression that I would need to run this program in WinXP. Btw, this is the only reason I still use WinXP! The game site indicates that EQII does not support Linux. Is there a WinXP emulator that I could run with Linux so that I could play the game? Would this result in too much of a hassle that I should just use a dual boot system?

If I did setup a dual boot system, would it be better to install WinXP and then Linux or vice versa? Is there a distro that will automatically setup your partitions based on the parameters I have given? Is there a better distro out there then the two I have mentioned for what I am looking to do with my system? Is there already a guide to answer the questions I have?

Sorry for all the questions in one post however I need all the help or advice I can get. Thanks.

Quote:I have made the decision to reformat my hard drive and either setup a dual boot system with WinXP and a Linux distro(Mandriva or Suse more then likely) or to just make it a Linux desktop. My questions are related to gaming. I play Everquest II and I am under the impression that I would need to run this program in WinXP. Btw, this is the only reason I still use WinXP! The game site indicates that EQII does not support Linux. Is there a WinXP emulator that I could run with Linux so that I could play the game? Would this result in too much of a hassle that I should just use a dual boot system?

i see that cedga (not free) can support 'Everquest' and that EQII is currently down in the 'polls' (which means that they might lend some support to install it). you might find success with winex or wine also.. depending on how lucky you are (i doubt it though from what im reading).

Quote:If I did setup a dual boot system, would it be better to install WinXP and then Linux or vice versa? Is there a distro that will automatically setup your partitions based on the parameters I have given? Is there a better distro out there then the two I have mentioned for what I am looking to do with my system? Is there already a guide to answer the questions I have? 

Sorry for all the questions in one post however I need all the help or advice I can get. Thanks.

first.. partition the disk...

then install windows

then install linux

this is really the only way for you to gurantee success :)

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Neofelis" data-cite="Neofelis" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1758" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have made the decision to reformat my hard drive and either setup a dual boot system with WinXP and a Linux distro(Mandriva or Suse more then likely) or to just make it a Linux desktop. My questions are related to gaming. I play Everquest II and I am under the impression that I would need to run this program in WinXP. Btw, this is the only reason I still use WinXP! The game site indicates that EQII does not support Linux. Is there a WinXP emulator that I could run with Linux so that I could play the game? Would this result in too much of a hassle that I should just use a dual boot system?

i see that cedga (not free) can support 'Everquest' and that EQII is currently down in the 'polls' (which means that they might lend some support to install it). you might find success with winex or wine also.. depending on how lucky you are (i doubt it though from what im reading).

Quote:If I did setup a dual boot system, would it be better to install WinXP and then Linux or vice versa? Is there a distro that will automatically setup your partitions based on the parameters I have given? Is there a better distro out there then the two I have mentioned for what I am looking to do with my system? Is there already a guide to answer the questions I have? 

first.. partition the disk...

then install windows

then install linux

this is really the only way for you to gurantee success :)

</div></blockquote>

Thank you for the reply. That is what I figured based on what I have read in the forums regarding situations similar to this. What program would you recomend to partition the drive with that has a fairly easy interface? I am learning more and more each day and I appreciate all the help.

if you do it manually you can partition the drive for free using xp's installation cd. just boot from it, choose the partition you want to install xp on (if it's c:/ you can delete it and create 'new' partitions on it, dont worry about formatting the SECOND partition (destination linux) as you can delete that partition in windows xp's disk administration (right click my computer/choose manage/disk admin...)

once xp is installed on c: (or d:) then its time for linux,

install fedora core release 4 or whatever on the blank partition that is left, and let the linux installed repartition all space on THAT blank partition (it will want to create new partitions)

let grub manage the dual boot

good luck\

Quote:if you do it manually you can partition the drive for free using xp's installation cd. just boot from it, choose the partition you want to install xp on (if it's c:/ you can delete it and create 'new' partitions on it, dont worry about formatting the SECOND partition (destination linux) as you can delete that partition in windows xp's disk administration (right click my computer/choose manage/disk admin...) 

install fedora core release 4 or whatever on the blank partition that is left, and let the linux installed repartition all space on THAT blank partition (it will want to create new partitions)

good luck\

So XP during install will allow me to setup partitions? I don't seem to recall doing this before however it has been a long time since I had to reinstall Winblows.

Indeed it does, at the 'blue' loading screen (its all text mode) you are able to partition your Hard drive. Windows by default takes it all (if i remember correctly). so you just delete that default, then select each partition size etc... B)

Quote:Indeed it does, at the 'blue' loading screen (its all text mode) you are able to partition your Hard drive. Windows by default takes it all (if i remember correctly). so you just delete that default, then select each partition size etc...  B)

I think you can tell Windows only to use a portion of the disk that you specify in MB, and it will leave the rest as free space. So, using Windows Setup you might only be able to create the first Windows part and the rest you have to do some other way. (I've recently done a Windows XP fresh install on my dual boot sys).

However, once Win is installed, you can use the nice friendly Disk Management to do create any more partitions in this free space (in case you want to spread Windows stuff over different partitions or something). It's nice and graphical and might be easier than doing the rest of the free space in Linux command-line.

You can get to it via Start>Run and typing compmgmt.msc. Obviously, you need admin access to do this.

Quote:if you do it manually you can partition the drive for free using xp's installation cd. just boot from it, choose the partition you want to install xp on (if it's c:/ you can delete it and create 'new' partitions on it, dont worry about formatting the SECOND partition (destination linux) as you can delete that partition in windows xp's disk administration (right click my computer/choose manage/disk admin...) 

good luck\

Got it up and running over the weekend! Thanks for the help. Now if I can just learn how to use Linux B)

Quote:Got it up and running over the weekend! Thanks for the help. Now if I can just learn how to use Linux  B)

so the hardest part is behind you :P