Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which linux distro should I choose and why ?

Quote:I would definately say try out fedora core release X. (X changes every 6 months or so, go for the newest version)

its definately the most user friendly, and has the most support..

http://fedora.redhat.com

and its free of course!

I still have a fedora * cd but, it is collecting dust. I tried to intall it but, couldn't get past the network;sever info crap and opted out, I still don't know about network settings please don't ask me. I need help installing ubuntu 12.04 lxf, can't get past that boot screen. I tried puppy didn't wan't to install it said download success then, an error with something when I tried to burn it to a cd. Geexbox looked very glitchy GUI blinking repeatively and only working on the cd rats!!!

I should used username: "postal linux user" kidding I am just frustrated cuase I had all these plans when I got this pc with win xp and I all ready had pc games I got from the dollar store (don't luagh) I got to get my game on!!! but, low and behold it only had 10 gig to work with!!!! that was what was left on a 160 drive!!!

In the bios page or hit F10 just before windows boots and foud to my suprize two more xp instalations no wander it had hardly no room.

reply if you like.

Quote:I wouldnt recommend Gentoo to a linux noob, it's certaintly not noob-friendly

and I have no idea about archlinux either,

if a noob is about to try linux for the first time i'd advise them to chose a popular, well supported, easy to install distro like (in no preferred order)

* ubuntu

* fedora core

* suse linux (opensuse)

all of the above are well documented, well supported both via official and non-official forums and relatively easy to get installed/working

cheers

anyweb
Yes I think most of which you spoke are good distro although I have only tried one ubuntu cause, fedora 8 was a pane. I thik they should tell when you get a distro in the Welcome to Fedora part how long it is supported and how to get the plugins codecs most importantly a detailed and catagorized terminal tutorial document that comes standard in my opinion. I went a year with out internet so traveing back and forth from public pc's with my flash drive hoping the stuff I downloaded would fix what was needed. This my freind not what I consider research but, it felt like a job.

With all that said I still like linux but, if do not find a distro soon I may have to dual boot windows/linux which can be difficult and do not ask technician at a commercial software store you will get your feelings hurt.