Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convert CentOS6 to SL6

I was searching around with my favorite search engine not even something I was looking for but accidently came across it.

So I I tried it out to convert my CentOS6 server to SL6 and it worked [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img] Here's the guide/article

Linux SL-Project 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 6 19:24:09 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My goodness, that does look easy. And indeed, quite elegant, considering what it's doing. :P If the CentOS 6 project still feels like it has this aura of abandonment hanging over it, I might really have to consider this. I perhaps shall have to give this a try in a test environment and see if it works for me!

Thanks for pointing this out. :)

Quote:My goodness, that does look easy. And indeed, quite elegant, considering what it's doing. [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png[/img] If the CentOS 6 project still feels like it has this aura of abandonment hanging over it, I might really have to consider this. I perhaps shall have to give this a try in a test environment and see if it works for me!

Thanks for pointing this out. :)

No problem :) It also saves me a custom install from my hosting provider which would be 100 euros. Now I can just install CentOS and convert it to SL [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

This is my home pc Desktop SL: Linux feedmebits.localdomain 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 5 17:19:54 CDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux\

This is after converting my CentOS6 to SL6: Linux SL-Project 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 6 19:24:09 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Only difference I can see is the CDT and BST donno what that stands for?

Those codes are referring to the timezone -- CDT is 'Central Daylight Time' for North America, and now it's set to BST, 'British Summer Time'. You might want to double-check which timezone you're expecting that machine to have!

Quote:Those codes are referring to the timezone -- CDT is 'Central Daylight Time' for North America, and now it's set to BST, 'British Summer Time'. You might want to double-check which timezone you're expecting that machine to have!

LOL seems my server has the right time zone and my own desktop doesn't haha

Should you not be in Central European Time and not BST, even on the server? They might both be UTC+1, but if they're not set correctly for your location, you might find them automatically switching timezone (from BST back to GMT or something) at the wrong time for your country!

Quote:Should you not be in Central European Time and not BST, even on the server? They might both be UTC+1, but if they're not set correctly for your location, you might find them automatically switching timezone (from BST back to GMT or something) at the wrong time for your country!

I set my server to TZ Amsterdam and I never pay attention to the TZ on my Desktop cuz I just set the time right :P

[root@SL-Project ~]# yum update

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror

Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

* sl: ftp.scientificlinux.org

* sl-security: ftp.scientificlinux.org

Setting up Update Process

No Packages marked for Update