Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using FreeNX for remote desktop

Well, I finally listened to Randall and took the plunge into the freenx arena.

This is one sweet program.

An interesting point, the NX product uses ssh as the transport layer. It works by setting up a ssh connection from the client to the server and, on the server side, executing a program via ssh to start the desktop. The display is transported back to the client over the ssh connection and displayed at on the client side. Keeping this in mind when you setup the keys for the NX connection is important. It took me a few minutes to understand why the private key was installed on the client side and the public key installed at the server... but this became obvious when the connection is compared to any other rsa-auth connection via ssh.

I have installed and tested the NXserver on a linux server with the NXclient running on a windows machine. The speed is amazing. It leaves VNC and Rdesktop in the dust .... in my opinion.

I will be following this post with more details with the problems that I had and what I had to do to resolve them.

P38

I'm interested!

Well, as the saying goes, "Famous last words"

Where once it was working, now it is broken and I can find nothing that has changed. I'm not going to start a HOWTO or such on installing the package until after mine is working.

Sorry for the misdirection.

P38