Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Migrating configs in uBuntu

Okay, here's the deal: I'm installing a new ubuntu box (same version as another) and I want to migrate menu settings from one to the other. So a coupla questions:

1. how do I "dump" a copy of the menu items? I want to form a checklist of applications etc.

2. How can I copy over the menus from one to another? I gather that this will probably involve copying over .gconf dir from one box to the other, and know that if I don't have the apps actually installed then I'll be creating a shortcut/icon for something that doesn't exist.

However, I'm going to ensure my output of "dpkg -l" matches between machines to confirm I have all the right stuff installed - I just want a quick way of copying over desktop configs (compiz settings, menus, etc) from one to the other.

Any ideas, chaps?

I have no idea but I'll try and help you search for an answer/solution. I'll let you know when I find something :)
I came across SimpleBackupSuite or SBackup for Ubuntu but they are the same thing.

erm ... actually, damn - that's an idea: something that does a "personal home dir" backup. Not a bad idea!

I may give that a try then report back on success.

Quote:erm ... actually, damn - that's an idea: something that does a "personal home dir" backup. Not a bad idea!

I may give that a try then report back on success.

I never tried it out, but from what I could see is that it's not specifically for backup home directory but also other directories.

Hope it does what you need it to do :)